The football world has paid tribute to Malatyaspor player Ahmet Eyüp Türkaslan who was killed in the Turkish earthquake that has devastated the nation. The 28-year-old goalkeeper played for second division club Malatyaspor.
However, in tragic news, local reports claim his body was recovered in the rubble after the devastating earthquake. The club announced his death on social media.
"Our goalkeeper Ahmet Eyup Turkaslan, lost his life after being under the collapse of the earthquake. Rest in peace. We will not forget you. Beautiful person," the statement read.
The football world rallied together to send their condolences after the painful loss with the goalkeeper spending his professional career playing in his home nation.
Sending our deepest condolences to Ahmet’s family, friends and everyone at @YMSkulubu. Rest in peace, Ahmet.
— FIFA (@FIFAcom) February 7, 2023
Yeni Malatyspor goalkeeper Ahmet Eyüp Türkaslan has passed away aged just 28 following the earthquake in Turkey 🥺💔 pic.twitter.com/AX9uwo9Bbr
— 433 (@433) February 7, 2023
Yeni Malatyaspor goalkeeper Eyüp Ahmet Türkaslan has sadly passed away at the age of 28 after his body was recovered from the rubble. 💔🇹🇷
Our thoughts go out to his friends and family. pic.twitter.com/DxF4kvIzeP
— Football Tweet ⚽ (@Football__Tweet) February 7, 2023
The lifeless body of Yeni Malatyaslor GK, Ahmet Turkaslan was recovered from the rubble.
This is sad.
— POOJA!!! (@PoojaMedia) February 7, 2023
On Tuesday, Chelsea and Newcastle United player Christian Atsu was reported after being trapped under rubble from deadly earthquakes in Turkey. According to measurements from the US Geological Survey, Turkey was hit with a second earthquake measuring more than magnitude-7, leaving thousands dead, injured, trapped or missing.
The tremor, measuring 7.5 magnitude was picked up about four kilometres outside Ekinozu, in central Turkey. The European Mediterranean Seismological Centre (EMSC) measured the quake at 7.7 magnitude, with its epicentre about 40 miles north north-east of Kahramanmaras, a depth of 2km.
However, there were multiple conflicting reports regarding Atsu and whether he had been found. However, on Wednesday it was reported Atsu was still missing.
Australia provide assistance to Turkey
The devastating earthquake to hit both Turkey and Syria has seen the death toll surpass 7,200 people. The death toll in Turkey has pass 5,434 people as more than 8,000 people have been rescued from the rubble since the natural disaster.
On Monday, Australia announced it would give $10 million in humanitarian assistance to help response efforts following Turkey's devastating earthquake. Foreign Affairs Minister Penny Wong said Australia's consular services were working with local authorities to follow up on a "small number" of citizens in affected areas.
"It is a crisis that is affecting so many of our fellow human beings. We will continue to monitor the unfolding situation on the ground," she told the Senate. The government will provide $7m to Turkey, of which $4m will be provided through Red Cross and Red Crescent partners to support the injured and evacuation efforts with food and items such as tents and blankets. A further $3m will be allocated as needs become clearer.
Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.