Daniel Ricciardo has hit out at Lance Stroll and Formula One stewards after he was caught up in ‘unbelievable’ late drama at the Styrian Grand Prix.
Six-times world champion Lewis Hamilton dominated the race in a Mercedes one-two to celebrate his 85th Formula One win and move a step closer to Michael Schumacher's record of 91 victories.
‘POOR FORM’: F1’s ‘disgusting’ act during anti-racism protest
‘TERRIFYING’: Lewis Hamilton's insane drive during qualifying
However the real drama was in midfield after Ricciardo slipped from sixth to eighth in controversial scenes late in the race.
The Aussie superstar was defending sixth place against Stroll in the closing stages of the race on Sunday, with McLaren's Lando Norris closing down on the pair.
On lap 70 Canadian driver Stroll dived up the inside of Turn 3, forcing both him and Ricciardo off the track.
Ricciardo felt Stroll deserved a penalty for the clash but in a post-race FIA race stewards investigation no action was taken on the Racing Point driver for the incident.
Ricciardo strongly disagreed with the outcome, having felt he needed to take action to avoid crashing with the Canadian driver.
“Firstly he didn't really get past, he forced both of us off the track,” Ricciardo said to Sky Sports F1.
“I'll always be critical of myself and I should have closed the door but I don't think he was ever making the move so I think it was desperate.
“I think Lando was coming and I think he had to do something otherwise Lando was going to eat him up. I take the apex and we crash, so that is a frustrating end and we lost a position to Lando.
“I think we will get the one back on Stroll, but it still doesn't… it is a bit of a shame to end the race like that.”
Race stewards saw the clash as a racing incident, something Stroll agreed with.
"I was catching Ricciardo but I spent the whole second stint really trying to get a good run on him but he was very strong into Turn 1 and out of Turn 1,” he said.
"That made it very challenging for me to get by. And finally I saw an opportunity, it was a very small one and I went for it. It turned out to be really hectic last lap, but a very exciting for everyone."
Sky Sports commentator David Croft described the late-race drama as ‘unbelievable’.
Renault launch protest against Racing Point
Meanwhile, Formula One's governing body has impounded brake ducts from the Racing Point cars after stewards ruled a Renault protest met the requirements for further investigation.
Renault had questioned the legality of parts on the “Pink Mercedes” cars after their rivals' strong showing in Sunday's second round of the season at Austria's Red Bull Ring.
Mexican Sergio Perez finished sixth and Stroll, son of team owner Lawrence, seventh, while Ricciardo ended up eighth.
The alleged breach concerns the design and outsourcing of listed parts.
Stewards said in a statement that the governing FIA's technical department would seal and impound the front and rear brake ducts for detailed analysis.
So Stroll Ricciardo-ing Ricciardo was the straw that broke the camels back eh. 😅 https://t.co/PHlwqwsWEf— Tommo (@TomMcCluskey_) July 12, 2020
Champions Mercedes, who provide Racing Point's engine and gearbox, were also ordered to hand over the brake ducts used on their car last season for comparison.
No date was set for the next meeting but Formula One is racing again in Hungary on July 19.
Racing Point have freely recognised their car is a close copy of last year's title-winning Mercedes but within the regulations.
“I don't think what we've done is particularly new as far as taking a team's concept and doing it ourselves. That's been prolific in Formula One since the very first days,” technical director Andy Green said back in testing in February.
Renault and Racing Point, formerly known as Force India, have clashed before over the regulations with the French team stripped of points from the Japanese Grand Prix after a protest by the Silverstone-based outfit.
with AAP and motorsport.com