'F**king idiots': Daniel Ricciardo unleashes after 'disgusting' footage

Riley Morgan
·Sports Reporter
·3-min read
Daniel Ricciardo (pictured) walking after a pre-season photoshoot for McLaren.
Daniel Ricciardo (pictured) has continued to his out at F1 executives over showing crashes as part of footage to promote F1. (Getty Images)

Aussie F1 superstar Daniel Ricciardo has continued his gripe with F1 executives after he became enraged at 'disgusting' footage played on loop at one of the Grand Prix's last year.

Ricciardo was one of the outspoken critics of how the events unfolded during the Bahrain GP last year, when Haas driver Romain Grosjean was involved in a terrifying crash.

'SUPER DANGEROUS': Aussie accused of nasty act in MotoGP chaos

'SUDDENLY FEEL BETTER': F1 rookie roasted over horror debut

Grosjean miraculously escaped a fiery inferno after his car burst into flames at 225 km/h on the opening lap of the race.

The near-death crash, which sent Grosjean to hospital with burns on his hands, was played on loop as F1 drivers were forced to watch on from the sideline as emergency crews attended the scene.

Ricciardo, then driving for Renault, was scathing of F1 officials.

Speaking after the crash, Aussie star Ricciardo condemned broadcasters for their ‘disgusting’ decision not to cut away from the fiery scenes.

“I want to express my disgust and disappointment with Formula 1,” Ricciardo told Dutch broadcaster Ziggo.

“The way the incident of Grosjean was broadcast over and over, the replays over and over, it was completely disrespectful and inconsiderate for his family, for all of our families watching."

Ricciardo again hits out at F1 executives

But months later, Ricciardo is doubling down on his complaint.

Ricciardo's push to make the sport more sensitive for drivers and their families prompted a meeting with the F1 marketing and communications director Ellie Norman.

However, Ricciardo doesn't appear to be finished with his quest to banish such footage being replayed after raising a social media post from the F1 account.

A fire is pictured following the crash of Romain Grosjean of France and Haas F1 during the F1 Grand Prix of Bahrain at Bahrain International Circuit on November 29, 2020 in Bahrain, Bahrain.
A fire is pictured following the crash of Romain Grosjean of France and Haas F1 during the F1 Grand Prix of Bahrain at Bahrain International Circuit on November 29, 2020 in Bahrain, Bahrain. (Photo by Bryn Lennon/Getty Images)

“I was just like, you guys are f***ing idiots," he told UK magazine Square Mile.

"Maybe 12-year-old kids want to see that kind of content, and that’s cool because they don’t know any better, but we’re not kids. 

"Just do better, guys. Do better than that.”

Ricciardo hits out at Netflix series 'Drive to Survive'

Ricciardo was also critical of the popular Netflix season 'Drive to Survive'.

The Netflix series, with season two focusing on Ricciardo, has put a spotlight on the high-octane sport.

But Ricciardo was critical of season two after he felt it attempted to make drama between his new teammate Sainz.

“I mean the second season, there were some episodes or parts where I feel they forced it a little bit,” Ricciardo told the publicaiton.

“They tried to create a bit of a rivalry between me and Sainz and it wasn’t really there. Like, he’s no more a rival than anyone else."

Ricciardo, debuting for McLaren, finished 7th in his first race of the season at the Bahrain GP.

Watch 'Mind Games', the new series from Yahoo Sport Australia exploring the often brutal mental toil elite athletes go through in pursuit of greatness:

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.