F1 drivers' stunning act of defiance before Australian GP was cancelled

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·Sports Editor
·3-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

Reports are emerging that Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen weren’t even in the country by the time the Australian Grand Prix was officially cancelled on Friday.

The Formula One season-opening round was set to start with Friday's practice but was called off after McLaren pulled out when a team member tested positive to coronavirus on Thursday.

‘SHAMBLES’: Confusion reigns as Australian GP cancelled

HUGE MOVE: Aussies to play New Zealand ODIs without fans

After overnight reports the Albert Park event had been called off, Australian Grand Prix boss Paul Little told Nine Network on Friday morning that it would go ahead.

Victorian premier Daniel Andrews responded in Sydney by saying the Grand Prix would be run without spectators if it was still being held.

Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen, pictured here at the Abu Dhabi F1 Grand Prix in 2019.
Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen at the Abu Dhabi F1 Grand Prix in 2019. (Photo by Jure Makovec/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images)

However, the portents weren't good for the opening Grand Prix after reports that the race would be scrapped following a crisis meeting between F1 hierarchy late on Thursday night.

It is believed team bosses expected confirmation of its cancellation from F1 officials or the FIA on Thursday night but it failed to happen.

However, BBC Sport reported that former world champions Vettel and Raikkonen had taken matters into their own hands and flown out of Australia on Thursday night.

That virtually meant organisers had no choice but to cancel the Grand Prix.

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.
This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

On Thursday, six-time F1 champion Lewis Hamilton said he found it “shocking” that the race was being staged amid a global coronavirus pandemic.

“I am really very, very surprised that we are here. For me it is shocking that we are all sitting in this (press conference) room,” the Mercedes star said.

It remains to be seen how the Grand Prix's cancellation impacts on the rest of the season.

Organisers have already banned fans from attending the Bahrain event on March 22 race while the Chinese Grand Prix has been postponed.

Meanwhile, AGPC officials said they would release information later regarding ticket refunds.

Esteban Ocon, pictured here wearing a mask at the Australian Formula One Grand Prix.
Renault driver Esteban Ocon is seen wearing a mask at the Australian Formula One Grand Prix. (Photo by Speed Media/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

Why the Grand Prix was cancelled

"At 9am today the Australian Grand Prix Corporation (AGPC) was advised by Formula One of their intention to cancel all Formula 1 activity at the Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix," an AGPC statement said.

"In light of this decision and updated advice this morning from the Chief Health Officer of the Victorian Government's Department of Human and Health Services, the Australian Grand Prix Corporation confirms the Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix is cancelled immediately."

Alarm bells were ringing for the opening grand prix after McLaren's departure.

Another seven team officials across numerous F1 outfits had also been assessed and tested in Melbourne but were cleared of the virus.

The AGPC said a ninth person, who was not a member of an F1 team, was still being tested.

“Last night a member of the McLaren Racing team tested positive for the COVID-19 virus,” the AGPC said.

“A further seven individuals returned negative results, confirming that they do not have the COVID-19 virus.

“Additionally, a ninth individual has been assessed and tested for the COVID-19 virus, with the results of this test pending.

“This individual is not associated with any Formula 1 team, the FIA or associated suppliers.

“Our first priority is the safety of everyone including attendees, our personnel, all event partners and members of the local community.”

with AAP

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting