Oscar Piastri rejects Alpine claim in F1 bombshell: 'This is wrong'

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·Sports Reporter
·4-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Aussie talent Oscar Piastri (pictured) watches on during the F2.
Aussie talent Oscar Piastri (pictured) caused a stir in F1 after denying he had signed for Alpine in 2023 after the team claimed he would be joining as a driver with Esteban Ocon in a statement. (Getty Images)

Alpine is the talk of the F1 world after being left embarrassed following the bizarre announcement that emerging Aussie talent Oscar Piastri would join in the team in 2023, only for the driver to deny the move.

Alpine announced on Tuesday that they had promoted the 21-year-old Melbourne driver to a race seat to replace Aston Martin-bound Fernando Alonso.

HARD LUCK: F1 fans in disbelief over Daniel Ricciardo drama at Hungarian GP

WOW: Michael Schumacher's wife in $4 million move amid health mystery

The move was a huge announcement considering Piastri is the reigning F2 champion and is the only driver other than George Russell and Charles Leclerc to win back-to-back drivers' championships in Formula 2 and Formula 3.

The BWT Alpine F1 Team Twitter account said the 2023 driver line-up had been confirmed, with Esteban Ocon and Piastri leading the team.

"After four years as part of the Renault and Alpine family, reserve driver Oscar Piastri is promoted to a race seat alongside Esteban Ocon starting from 2023," the statement read.

However, the announcement clearly took the Aussie driver himself by surprise.

Only hours after the statement, Piastri took to social media and made the huge claim he would not be driving for Alpine next year.

"I understand that, without my agreement, Alpine F1 have put out a press release late this afternoon that I am driving for them next year," he wrote.

"This is wrong and I have not signed a contract with Alpine for 2023. I will not be driving for Alpine next year."

Before Piastri took the air out of their tyres, Alpine said that he has already been undergoing "an intensive and comprehensive training program" this season to "prepare him for the next big step" into F1.

"As our reserve driver he has been exposed to the team at the track, factory and testing where he has shown the maturity, promise and speed to ensure his promotion to our second seat alongside Esteban," Szafnauer said.

"Together, we believe the duo will give us the continuity we need to achieve our long-term goal of challenging for wins and championships."

F1 world reacts to Alpine and Oscar Piastri's saga

Piastri's claim he would be driving for a new team next year has sent shockwaves around the track.

Alpine are now scrambling to find a driver following the Alonso's decision to leave for Aston Martin to take over from the retiring Sebastian Vettel.

Piastri's next announcement could also have huge implications in F1.

The Australian joined the Alpine Academy as a teenager and became just the third man after Charles Leclerc and George Russell to win back-to-back drivers' championships in Formula 2 and Formula 3.

with AAP

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting