'Embarrassment to our game': Hardwick slams AFL goal reviews

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has unleashed on the AFL goal review system after a controversial call went against his side in their win over St Kilda on Saturday.

Jack Higgins was denied a goal when it was determined Tom Hickey had touched the ball before it was completely over the line.

The goal umpire had originally called it a goal, something replay angles from in front of and behind Hickey suggested was correct.

Despite the Tigers kicking on to secure the win, Hardwick was furious with the system – not for the first time – and called on the AFL to back the goal umpires.

“So why do we wait? Why don’t we just go back to the centre, he’s called a goal – we ask to trust and respect our umpires, how about we back the goal umpire in and then we go back to the centre?” he said.

“And if you haven’t figured it out by that stage, just let the game go. Momentum in sport is a wonderful thing. I sit there, and I still don’t know how it got turned over. I don’t know about you blokes, but seriously, it’s an embarrassment to our game. I reckon it really is.

“The technology is deplorable. What do you reckon the technology’s going to be like in Alice Springs (where Melbourne play Adelaide) this week? Might look at the Hubble telescope to give us a fair snapshot.”

St Kilda counterpart Alan Richardson was also critical, saying Saints defender Logan Austin had clearly touched a Dustin Martin goal that was upheld on review.

“They were confusing today,” he said.

“I think we were probably a little bit lucky on one. It looked like the ball that Hickey touched had cleared the line. But I thought Logan Austin’s looked like he’d clearly touched it.

“Today it didn’t work. I’m not sure whether it’s embarrassing or not but it was ineffective today.”

Richmond won 15.15 (105) to 12.5 (77), with Josh Caddy leading up front with six goals after an early concussion to key forward Jack Riewoldt.

Riewoldt was taken out of the game after just five minutes when he was hit high by St Kilda’s Jake Carlisle.

Carlisle was put on report, while the early incident saw premiership coach Paul Roos call for the introduction of a concussion substitute.

with AAP