David Warner forced to clarify concerning on-air comments

Chris Young
·3-min read
David Warner has clarified that his groin injury will take months to recover fully from, but that it won't prevent him from playing in the meantime. (Photo by Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images)
David Warner has clarified that his groin injury will take months to recover fully from, but that it won't prevent him from playing in the meantime. (Photo by Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images)

David Warner has elaborated on comments about he made about his troublesome groin injury which lead fans to fear he could miss months of cricket as a result.

The Australian opening batsman was on commentary duties for Fox Sports during Australia's T20 loss to New Zealand on Monday night when his own progress to rejoining the team was brought up.

'SOMETHING'S GOING ON': Cricket outcast at centre of stunning claim

'DIDN'T LOOK GREAT': Steve Smith slammed for 'unbecoming' act

The 34-year-old injured his groin during the ODI series against India late last year, rejoining the team for the final two Test matches of the series.

Warner was far from his best after rejoining the team though, and while commentating Monday's T20, suggested it would be a lengthy wait for him to make a full recovery.

“It’s going to aggravate me for the next six to nine months. But I’m sure the medicos will help me out there,” he said.

After that comment sparked reports of a lengthy injury layoff, Warner quickly took to Twitter to clear things up.

As it turns out, while fully rehabbing from the injury will indeed be a six to nine month process, it won't rule Warner out of playing.

“Just to clarify a comment I made on commentary last night, that ‘My Groin’ will need on going treatment and will have an annoying pain for at least 6-9 months,” Warner tweeted. 

“I am returning to play for NSW on the 4th March 2021.”

Warner was selected in the since abandoned tour of South Africa which was supposed to take place in February, but has since turned his full attention to his recovery.

Warner drafted on big money in The Hundred

In addition to getting his body right for his commitments to the Australian squad, Warner will also need to be fit for the upcoming Hundred series in England.

Warner was drafted by Southern Brave, the same Southampton-based franchise he joined in 2020 before the inaugural event was called off because of the pandemic.

The Australian opener was one of the few cricketers with the highest reserve price of PS100,000 ($A177,832) in the draft, which was revealed by the English Cricket Board on Tuesday.

David Warner was selected by the Southern Braves with the third pick of the draft for The Hundred. (Photo by Cameron Spencer/Getty Images)
David Warner was selected by the Southern Braves with the third pick of the draft for The Hundred. (Photo by Cameron Spencer/Getty Images)

"To be able to bring David back into the fold is a huge boost for our team," Southern Brave men's head coach Mahela Jayawardene said.

"We were so excited when we grabbed him in the first draft, so it's great to have him back."

Perth Scorchers paceman Jhye Richardson was also selected early in the draft at pick seven by Welsh Fire, who also chose big-hitting West Indies batsman Kieron Pollard with pick two.

Richardson entered the draft at the second-highest pay level with a reserve of PS80,000 ($A142,526).

West Indies wicketkeeper and shot-maker Nicholas Pooran was the first pick, taken by the Manchester Originals, who were the busiest team, signing 10 players.

With AAP

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.