Anderson hit 'arrogant' Clarke, bio reveals

Yahoo!7 October 12, 2012, 4:05 pm

It appears Test cricket isn’t the only thing former Aussie opener Simon Katich and current England quick Jimmy Anderson have in common.

They both have the notoriety of being involved in a dressing-room bust-up with current Australian captain Michael Clarke.

Katich’s infamous stoush with Clarke after the Sydney Test in 2009 has gone down into cricket folklore, especially given the veteran’s unceremonious axing from the Australian set-up last year.

But Anderson has revealed he beat Katich to the punch, so to speak.

In his newly-released autobiography, Anderson speaks honestly about the day he wrapped a pad around Clarke’s head for “carrying on in a most arrogant manner” after the famous Adelaide Test during the 2006-07 Ashes series.

"The Australians displayed great levels of humility throughout that Test series, except, that is, for Michael Clarke," Anderson writes in Jimmy: My Story.

"While others chatted with opposite numbers about the game, Clarke was being a complete pain, whistling away to himself and carrying on in a most arrogant manner.

"I said as much to Damien Martyn, who I was chatting to at the time, and, looking down at my feet, added: 'See this pad here, I really want to wrap it around his head.'

"'Do it,' Martyn replied, completely straight-faced.

"Now while Martyn was notorious for being someone who did not mix particularly well with his own teammates, and was not close to anyone, preferring to be something of a lone wolf, his bullish attitude nevertheless took me aback.

"I looked at him again as if to ask: 'Are you sure?'

"'Do it!' he repeated.

"As I'd had a couple of beers, I didn't need a second invitation, so I picked this pad up and cuffed Clarke with it, making the biggest thud imaginable in the process, and causing everyone in the room to stop nattering. For a split second, there was complete silence.

"'What the f . . k ya doing?' he snarled."

Anderson also shed some light on Martyn’s sudden retirement, which came just two days after the Adelaide Test.

Anderson claims Aussie opener Matthew Hayden labelled Martyn "the biggest wanker on the planet" in an argument that saw Martyn storm out of the dressing room and head back to the team hotel.

Anderson also recounts his shame at the drunken exploits of he and his teammates during the series, which England lost 5-0.

And he speaks openly about one all-night drinking session in Melbourne.

"Andrew Flintoff, Ed Joyce, Chris Read and I headed out from our Hyatt hotel base for the evening," he wrote.

"We were just popping out for dinner and a glass of wine. But one thing led to another, a late night developed into an early morning and we ended up staggering back at 6am.

"We displayed complete disdain for the trust that had been placed in us, and such was our lack of self-respect that we sneaked into fast-food joint Hungry Jack's, Australia's Burger King, for breakfast before nabbing an hour's sleep. Hardly an ideal diet for an international sportsman, let alone one that was required on the bus for practice at 9 o'clock that morning.

"Stuff like that shows how bad things had got on that tour. It had worn us down to such an extent that all sense of professionalism had been eradicated. Nights out, guzzling, were our form of escapism, our release from reality."

1. Ron C.07:44am Saturday 13th October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Did anyone see Michael Clarke coaching from the sidline in one game. Shane Watson, captain at the time should have been the one to clobber Clarke with something harder than a pad. Jimmy Anderson writing a book. He has not been around long enough to read a book.

2. Dorian07:41am Saturday 13th October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

typical one eyed comments on here I see. Aussies have been shyte since warney and co and Clarke is the biggest wanker of all. I hate the old Mathew Haydon also what a tosser!! Seems like Damien Martyn had good reason to retire playing with such an inferior bunch of wannabees

3. d11:03pm Friday 12th October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Anderson calling others arrogant??? LOL Now that is the funniest thing I have heard for sometime. Anderson (along with the so called English team) have to be the most arrogant players in world cricket today. They actually believe they are some great team.Now, the truth has got them all upset (as seem by this rubbish book)

4. Red_Herring10:09pm Friday 12th October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Yet ANOTHER pommy nobody trying to make a quick buck by flogging his useless book...yaaawn.James WHO???

5. Craig09:55pm Friday 12th October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Yet another example of the HATE CULT (ISLAM) at work in Australia this time. A Muslim man murdered his wife and her lover, because under ISLAM adultery is punishable by DEATH. He said the devil was controlling him at the time, and he was correct. Islam is the work of SATAN, dont believe me, read the Koran and be HORRIFIED at the HATE and INTOLERANCE it encourages.

6. Jonathan08:38pm Friday 12th October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

More rubbish ruining the great game of cricket.

7. Pat08:32pm Friday 12th October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

They should all go get a real job and hang out in reality. Too much money and not enough brains!

8. robbie08:24pm Friday 12th October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Autobiography ? "My Story" ? by Jimmy Anderson !! Wow ! Now there's an all time great of the game !! Where can I buy this literary masterpiece ?????? The wanker Mr Anderson is YOU. You are basically saying you clobbered Clarke because Martyn said it was a good thing to do !! Can't take responsibility for your own actions , hey? Never mind, just go and get drunk in the middle of an Ashes series Mr. Professional Cricketer !!

9. seek1mor08:03pm Friday 12th October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssuuus, I never thought I would congratulate a Pommy cricketer. My only disappointment is that Anderson didn't knock that arrogant #$%$s head off.. I've been following test cricket since the '65 series when Doug Walters made his debut with successive centuries, but never have I seen a less than likeable player than the aforementioned Mr Clarke. This palooka has no idea of public relations, forgetting he is merely a cog in the wheel. His arrogance was highlighted a few years back when he continually referred to himself in the third person. Since becoming captain it appears he has had some coaching in PR but some of us do have sufficient memory.

10. Geoff5108:01pm Friday 12th October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Poor clarky, most australians dont like him, now the english are taking pot shots at him, blooody hell, what next ???? lucky he is thick skinned