Gilly's last ever knock

Melanie Dinjaski, Yahoo!7 Updated May 21, 2012, 10:41 am

Australian cricketing legend Adam Gilchrist will shelf the batting pads and stow away the 'keeper gloves, after announcing over the weekend that he has played his last game of professional cricket, reports cricinfo.com.

The big-hitting fan favourite will reportedly reassess his playing future after his team, the Kings XI Punjab, lost to the Dehli Daredevils in the Indian Premier League over the weekend.

"I would say I've played my last game of cricket just there," Gilchrist told cricinfo.com on Saturday.

Despite planning to remove himself as a cricketer, Gilchrist hinted at his desire to pursue a promising career as a coach.

"I'll go away and have a think about it and talk to the franchise. If the franchise is still keen to keep me involved as coach, which is a role I've really enjoyed, I find that I still enjoy being around the group. To be honest I didn't miss the cricket that much," he said.

Arguably the greatest wicketkeeper Australia has ever had, since retiring in 2008 "Gilly" as he's affectionately known, blamed his dwindling passion to play the game as the reason he decided to call it quits.

"There isn't that fire burning in my belly quite like it used to. I have to think about it but I just feel I won't be playing."

If Gilchrist walks away from playing for good, it will mark the end of what has been a glittering career.

Holding the record for the most sixes in Test cricket (100), most Test centuries by a wicketkeeper and second most Test dismissals by a wicketkeeper, Gilchrist is hailed as one of the world's best ever all-rounders. In One Day Internationals he has made the most dismissals by a wicketkeeper (472) and has scored more centuries than any other wicketkeeper (15). A three-time Cricket World Cup and Ashes winner, in 2003 he was awarded the prestigious Allan Border Medal.

After coming out of retirement to play in the IPL Gilchrist's knack for a vicious strike-rate with the bat and reliable place behind the stumps continued to dazzle crowds, while his sportsmanship and propensity to "walk" when he believed himself to be out, earned him the respect of the cricketing community.

Spanning twenty years, the boy from Bellingen has scored a total of 39,449 runs in International Test cricket, One Day Internationals, First Class, List A and Twenty20 cricket combined.

1. Robert05:24pm Monday 21st May 2012 ESTReport Abuse

I saw him sitting in a bar in the city one Friday night having a quiet drink with a mate.Every couple of minutes someone would come up to him and ask if they could get a photo with him and he did it for dozens of them with a smile every time.seemed to me to be a real gentleman and approachable guy.All the best Gilly,enjoy whatever you decide to do, you have earned a break.

2. Yorkie04:06pm Monday 21st May 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Thank you Gilly, for giving myself and many others hours and hours and hours of highly entertaining cricket. It has been a privilege to watch your career. The game will miss you greatly.

3. Dan Whispers03:59pm Monday 21st May 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Churchy, I'll buy you a beer at the Sugargum next time you drop in.

4. Gibbo02:23pm Monday 21st May 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Ray it's a long sentence but grammatically it's fine. You just plucked out part of the sentence without reading the entire thing! Way too caught up in it mate. I'll explain..."Arguably the greatest wicketkeeper Australia has ever had, [the comma is a pause] since retiring in 2008 [the sentence doesn't end here] "Gilly" as he's affectionately known, blamed his dwindling passion to play the game as the reason he decided to call it quits." Nothing wrong with that mate. Just take in the story for what its about and join the rest of us who are just sad to see the great man leave the game. He is a legend!

5. merryle02:11pm Monday 21st May 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Good on you Gilly...Job well done...

6. Bang Trousers02:04pm Monday 21st May 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Yes great, but if you really want to be amazed, consider the pancreas.

7. johnT01:33pm Monday 21st May 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Great cricketer. Great bloke. A pleasure to watch play. Thanks for the many great moments you provided.

8. Ray01:08pm Monday 21st May 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Another for us grammar-nazis; "Arguably the greatest wicketkeeper Australia has ever had since retiring in 2008"? Besides being an incorrect opinion, how could he be a great wicketkeeper since he retired? This comment reads that in the past 4 years, he has somehow become the greatest ever? Really? Seriously, most journalists have prep-School grasp of the English language. Have a listen to any news bulletin and you'll be left gobsmacked, as most sentences fail to flow or make sense. Ok, thanks for the entertainment Gilly.

9. Big D01:07pm Monday 21st May 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Thank you Adam Gilchrist for your many wonderful years of cricket, the entertainment you provided, and my admiration for your approach to the game of cricket and the values you displayed in the "sport" of life.

10. Pmjp Newsome12:55pm Monday 21st May 2012 ESTReport Abuse