Advertisement

Pat Cummins responds to Glenn Maxwell incident as more details come to light

Pat Cummins says players need to "own" their off-field decisions following Glenn Maxwell incident.

Pictured Pat Cummins left and Glenn Maxwell right
Pat Cummins says players need to "own" their off-field decisions following Glenn Maxwell's incident. Image: Getty

Australian cricket captain Pat Cummins has told players they need to "own" their off-field decisions following Glenn Maxwell's trip to hospital after a night out. Maxwell was taken to hospital in Adelaide last weekend, with reports claiming he collapsed due to dehydration.

The Sydney Morning Herald reports an ambulance had to be called to The Gov for Maxwell after he fell and lost consciousness. Cricket Australia confirmed on Monday that they were looking into the circumstances surrounding the all-rounder's trip to hospital.

'THIS IS CRAZY': Cricket world stunned by never-before-seen feat in BBL

POSITIVE SIGNS: Will Pucovski avoids concussion after latest scary scenes

Addressing the media on Tuesday ahead of the second Test against the West Indies, Cummins was asked if Maxwell had an problem with alcohol, to which he replied it was not for him to speak about. But the skipper did reveal he was at The Gov - a pub where Brett Lee's band Six and Out was playing - but said he didn't see Maxwell there and he "left pretty early". He added: "I knew he was in town but I didn't see Maxi at all."

According to News Corp, "those close to Maxwell" said he had a "few beers in the sun", and the dehydration “caught up with him”. The Gov posted a photo on social media showing the majority of the Australian Test team enjoying a drink with the members of 'Six & Out'.

Glenn Maxwell "embarrassed" by night out

According to Maxwell's manager Ben Tippett, the Aussie all-rounder is embarrassed by how his night out in Adelaide played out. He claims that his actions only occurred after he he'd been told he would be rested from Australia's ODI squad to face the West Indies next month.

Maxwell was named in the squad on January 11, but on January 16 it was decided he would be rested from the ODI games so he could have five days off before physical preparations began for the T20 series this week. The decision meant Maxwell could play in a Blitz Golf exhibition tournament on Friday.

Maxwell is understood to have relayed his version of events to Australian selector George Bailey. Both Bailey and head coach Andrew McDonald were understood to have not been informed of the incident until Monday when Maxwell was due to begin training for the T20 series.

MUMBAI, INDIA - NOVEMBER 07: Glenn Maxwell of Australia celebrates with team mate Pat Cummins after hitting a six for the winning runs, finishing unbeaten on 201 not out during the ICC Men's Cricket World Cup India 2023 between Australia and Afghanistan at Wankhede Stadium on November 07, 2023 in Mumbai, India. (Photo by Alex Davidson-ICC/ICC via Getty Images)
Australian cricket captain Pat Cummins has told players they need to "own" their off-field decisions following Glenn Maxwell's incident. Image: Getty (Alex Davidson-ICC via Getty Images)

"Glenn is a little embarrassed by the whole thing," Tippett told SMH. "He was a bit sore and sorry on Saturday, but he’s back in Melbourne and resumed training yesterday. He’s not under investigation by Cricket Australia."

The incident in Adelaide is the latest in what has been a tumultuous last two years for Maxwell. In November 2022, he slipped and broke his leg in what was described as a 'freak accident' at a friend's 40th birthday party. He denied alcohol played any part in the mishap.

The injury ended up costing him a chance to be part of Australia's Test squad to tour India in early 2023. He was then concussed when he fell off a golf cart at the World Cup last year and had to miss a game against England.

Sign up to our newsletter and score the biggest sport stories of the week.

Yahoo Australia