Australia’s cricketers are looking increasingly likely to miss out on millions after the Indian Premier League was postponed ‘indefinitely’ on Wednesday.
Originally scheduled to begin on March 29, the eight-team league was initially suspended until Wednesday even as India entered a three-week lockdown last month.
‘REV UP THE SEATS’: Australia's Virat Kohli conundrum without fans
After the lockdown was extended on Tuesday until at least May 3, Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) officials held a teleconference before informing the franchises about a further delay.
“Well, all we know is that it has been shifted indefinitely and BCCI are working on a window in the future,” Delhi Capitals chief executive Dheeraj Malhotra told Reuters.
BCCI has yet to make an official announcement but the CEO of another franchise confirmed the decision.
“We have been informed about it being postponed indefinitely, but we're still waiting for an email from the board with details,” the official said, requesting anonymity.
IPL governing council chairman Brijesh Patel did not answer calls from Reuters on Tuesday and Wednesday to elaborate on the league's future plans.
BCCI president Sourav Ganguly had earlier acknowledged the difficulty in hosting the tournament amid lockdown with travel and other restrictions due to the global health crisis.
“At the present moment, we can't say anything,” the former India captain told New Indian Express newspaper at the weekend.
“Where will you get players from, where do players travel? It's just simple common sense that at the moment nothing is in favour of any kind of sport anywhere in the world, forget IPL.”
Aussies set to miss out on millions
Local media speculated on a possible window in September-October, before this year's Twenty20 World Cup in Australia.
The uncertainty around this year’s edition of the IPL is a big setback, particularly for the 62 cricketers bought for a collective $A28.98 million at the players’ auction in December.
Australia’s Pat Cummins became the IPL’s most expensive overseas buy ever when the Kolkata Knight Riders paid a staggering $3.2 million for the fast bowler in the auction in Kolkata.
Fellow Aussies Steve Smith ($2.5 million), David Warner ($2.5 million), Glenn Maxwell ($2.2 million), Nathan Coulter-Nile ($1.6 million) and Aaron Finch ($900,000) are also set to miss out on lucrative contracts.
IPL officials have previously said players won’t be paid should the tournament be cancelled.
“It's obviously not looking likely (the IPL will go ahead) at the moment,” Smith conceded last month.
“I'm just trying to stay physically and mentally fit and fresh and, if it goes ahead at some point, then great.
“And, if not, there's plenty going on in the world at the moment. So just play it day by day.”