'Zero chance': Michael Slater responds to David Warner fight bombshell

·3-min read
Seen here, Aussie cricket identities Michael Slater and David Warner.
Michael Slater and David Warner insist there is nothing to the rumours of a reported bust-up between the pair. Pic: Getty

Australian cricket identities Michael Slater and David Warner have responded to bombshell reports they were involved in a fight with one another in the Maldives.

The pair are among a 38-strong Australian contingent that fled India to the Maldives, following the Covid-enforced suspension of the Indian Premier League.

HORRIBLE': Stuart MacGill's partner breaks silence on kidnapping ordeal

HUGE: Scott Morrison's perfect response to latest Michael Slater spray

'PLEASE COME HOME': Daughters' heartbreaking plea to David Warner

Slater already made headlines last week after slamming Scott Morrison's travel ban which prevents Australians returning home from India until May 15.

The former Test batsman said the Australian Prime Minister had "blood on his hands", with Mr Morrison insisting the ban was for the greater good.

Slater again found himself in the headlines over the weekend after The Daily Telegraph's Phil Rothfield reported that he and Warner were involved in a late night scuffle.

The pair are both staying at the Taj Coral Resort in the Maldives as they undertake a two-week quarantine period before being allowed to return to Australia.

Slater was part of the IPL commentary team, while Warner was recently dropped as captain of the Sunrisers Hyderabad, following a poor start to the season for the franchise.

However, sources told the Telegraph that after being seen in a verbal disagreement, things got heated between the pair.

Slater and Warner both reportedly sent Rothfield text messages insisting that there was "absolutely nothing to the rumour".

Davie and I are great mates and absolutely zero chance of (having) a fight,” Slater texted.

Warner also texted: "There has been no drama.

“I don’t know where you get these things from. Unless you were here and have got concrete evidence you can’t write anything.”

“Nothing happened.”

Aussie cricketers quarantining before return

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and franchises are overseeing arrangements for outbound players after the IPL was halted because of COVID-19 cases among players and staff.

However, Australians are unable to return home until May 15 because of the federal government's ban on all incoming travellers from coronavirus-ravaged India.

The PM confirmed repatriation flights out of India will resume on May 15 as Australia's Indian Premier League contingent wait to see when they might return.

Pictured right, Aussie cricket great Michael Slater and Prime Minister Scott Morrison on the left.
Michael Slater has been scathing in his criticism of Scott Morrison. Image: Getty

Mike Hussey, who is an assistant coach at Chennai Super Kings, was unable to travel with the 38-strong Australian group to the Maldives as he continues to serve a 10-day isolation period in India after testing positive for COVID-19.

Current rules stipulate that Australia's IPL continent must spend a fortnight in the Maldives before flying home.

But further adjustments to the travel ban, which is currently the subject of a legal challenge, could clear them to fly out earlier.

Cricket Australia (CA) chief executive Nick Hockley made it clear on Wednesday his organisation will not seek special exemptions for the IPL group.

Any Australia-bound charter flight for the cricketers would need to be approved by the federal government.

with AAP

Watch 'Mind Games', the new series from Yahoo Sport Australia exploring the often brutal mental toil elite athletes go through in pursuit of greatness:

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting