Brutal Mike Hussey fallout as Aussie cricketers flee India

·4-min read
Aussie cricket great Mike Hussey is seen here performing commentary duties.
Aussie cricket great Mike Hussey will have to stay in India to quarantine after contracting Covid-19. Pic: Getty

Mike Hussey will have to remain in Covid-ravaged India, while his Australian compatriots evacuate en masse to neighbouring countries.

Australia's Indian Premier League contingent is set to leave the country within 72 hours, with a travel ban from Scott Morrison's government preventing them from returning home.

'HORRIBLY TRAUMATIC': New details in Stuart MacGill kidnapping

'PLEASE COME HOME': Daughters' heartbreaking plea to David Warner

Hussey is the only one of the 38-strong Australian IPL contingent who has contracted Covid-19, meaning he is prevented from leaving the country.

It comes after the suspension of the IPL this week, following a number of positive coronavirus cases at four different franchises.

Hussey must remain isolating at an Indian hotel for at least the next 10 days after returning positive COVID-19 tests on the past two days.

"His symptoms are relatively mild, so he is okay," Greenberg said.

"He is in for a stint of isolation in his hotel room for at least 10 days but he's in pretty good spirits."

The other Australians must return multiple negative tests in the next 48 hours before leaving on flights organised by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).

The BCCI would then fly the Australians home on a charter flight after May 15, if the government lifted the ban by then.

Pictured left, Australian PM Scott Morrison and Aussie star Pat Cummins on the right.
Aussie star Pat Cummins (pictured right) admitted he was shocked when Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced the borders would be closed to India. Pic: Getty

"There has been a lot of uncertainty and a pretty stressful time for them," Cricket Australia's interim chief executive Nick Hockley told reporters.

"The absolute priority is to get them home safe and well."

The rest of the Australian group - including 24 players and coaches, with other support staffers and commentators - are set to flee India within three days for either the Maldives or Sri Lanka.

They cannot come home until at least May 15 because the Morrison government has banned any Australian in India from returning until after that date.

Hockley said the Australian cricket group was "not seeking any kind of special exemptions whatsoever".

He expected them to be exempt from the government's cap on numbers of returning international travellers.

"We will work the Australian government and the relevant state governments to make sure we're not taking spaces of anyone else ... certainly that is what we're committed to doing," Hockley said.

Hockley's words were in stark contrast to former Australian Test star Michael Slater, who had already said Prime Minister Scott Morrison had 'blood on his hands' over the handling of the crisis.

On Wednesday he took to Twitter again, saying: "Amazing to smoke out the PM on a matter that is a human crisis. The panic, the fear of every Australian in India is real!! How about you take your private jet and come and witness dead bodies on the street!"

Travel ban leaves Aussie contingent anxious

The lucrative IPL Twenty20 tournament was suspended after four franchises reported positive COVID-19 tests to players or staffers.

Australia bowlers Adam Zampa, Andrew Tye and Kane Richardson last week fled the IPL, returning home via Qatar.

But any Australian attempting that journey now risked jail time and fines amid the travel ban, however, the Prime Minister admitted that possibility was slim.

The IPL was halted as Indian society buckles with more than 20 million COVID-19 cases and more than 220,000 deaths from the coronavirus.

"Our hearts go out to everyone in India," Hockley said.

"Clearly the IPL, they put so much work, so much effort into putting on the tournament and they obviously did that on the best available information at the time.

"I can't speak more highly for how the BCCI but also how of the franchises have worked to look after our players and put in plans to make sure they get home safely and as quickly as possible."

Australian Cricketers' Association chief executive Todd Greenberg said the travel ban, announced suddenly by the government last Friday night, was worrying the cricket contingent.

"They signed up (for the IPL) with their eyes wide open about some of the challenges and risks," Greenberg told reporters in Sydney on Wednesday.

"They always knew when they came back they would have to do isolation for 14 days.

"What they didn't expect was for the borders to be closed.

"That created some anxiety for them, just like it would create anxiety for the 9000 Australians who are over there looking to come home."

with AAP

Watch 'Mind Games', the new series from Yahoo Sport Australia exploring the often brutal mental toil elite athletes go through in pursuit of greatness:

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting