Advertisement

Anthony Mundine rips 'un-Australian' act amid Mitchell Johnson and David Warner spat

The former world boxing champion has called out Mitchell Johnson for his attack of David Warner.

Anthony Mundine pictured left and David Warner and Mitchell Johnson pictured together right
Anthony Mundine has labelled Mitchell Johnson "un-Australian" for his attack of Test opener David Warner. Image: Getty

Anthony Mundine has labelled Mitchell Johnson "un-Australian" for his attack on David Warner. Johnson launched an aggressive character assault on Warner last weekend, saying the Aussie Test opener doesn't deserve to be in the side let alone be farewelled at the SCG this summer.

The former world boxing champion says Johnson's remarks were a "low act" and uncalled for and believes the saga should have played out behind closed doors out of the public eye. Mundine says he endured similar treatment from at least one ex-teammate in 2000 when he walked away from rugby league, months after his St George Illawarra side lost the controversial 1999 grand final to Melbourne.

NOT GOOD: Alyssa Healy calls out ugly detail in Mitchell Johnson furore

'NOT THE TRUTH': Johnson rips 'disgusting' response from George Bailey

"It's a low act (from Johnson). Things should be positive. Former teammates, teammates, should stick together. It's un-Australian," Mundine told AAP. "The same thing happened to me. When I retired from football, I went overseas to clear my mind and clear my head and (former Dragons captain) Craig Smith was giving me a bit of a hammering. He didn't know what I was going through.

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - JANUARY 13: Anthony Mundine looks on  during a Turf War media opportunity at ICC Sydney Theatre on January 13, 2022 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Mark Evans/Getty Images)
Anthony Mundine believes the saga should have played out behind closed doors out of the public eye. Image: Getty (Mark Evans via Getty Images)

"Why wouldn't Mitchell speak to him face to face himself first? There would have been a bit of a relationship there based on those five years (of being Australia teammates)."

Mundine, who is good mates with Warner, believes the 37-year-old deserves to get the farewell he desires after averaging 44.43 over 199 Test innings. "Dave's got the runs on the board," Mundine said. "The proof is in the pudding. It will be a fitting way to end his Test career. He deserves that. Mitchell should just own what he's done and Dave is a good enough man to forgive and move on. It's just another chapter in life."

Mitchell Johnson reveals reason he took a swipe at David Warner

Johnson revealed on Monday that his latest go at the Test opener was sparked by a 'disrespectful' text message he received from Warner in response to his comments about Candice earlier this year. Warner was enraged by the former fast bowler's swipe at his partner and sent his former teammate a text that Johnson labelled "pretty bad".

He also revealed his dig at Bailey was a result of a text he got from the chief selector about a column he wrote about Lance Morris. In that column, Johnson questioned why Cricket Australia was insistent on resting young fast bowlers like Morris.

"I probably was set off by receiving a message from him (Bailey) at odd hours in the morning and him not showing the respect to make a phone call. That's pretty much that," Johnson revealed. "The thing I struggle with the most is not having those phone calls. I would have preferred to have a conversation with those guys, face-to-face. The best way to do it. To get those messages I felt it was disrespectful."

with AAP

Sign up to our newsletter and score the biggest sport stories of the week.

Yahoo Australia