Advertisement

Matthew Wade at centre of 'cheating' storm in T20 against England

Matthew Wade, pictured here appearing to intentionally obstruct Mark Wood from taking a catch.
Matthew Wade appeared to intentionally obstruct Mark Wood from taking a catch. Image: Fox Sports

Matthew Wade has drawn the ire of the cricket world in the first T20 against England on Sunday night after appearing to intentionally obstruct the field.

David Warner's top-order heroics and some late blows from Wade went in vain as England secured a thrilling eight-run victory in the series-opening T20 clash at Optus Stadium in Perth.

BRUTAL: Tim Paine's comeback to first-class cricket goes wrong

SPEAKING OUT: Steve Smith addresses 'confusing' Aussie call

Wade looked destined to steal the game away from England at the death, making a quick-fire 21 off 15 balls.

However he was involved in highly controversial scenes in the 17th over when he appeared to intentionally obstruct Mark Wood when the English bowler was attempting to take a catch.

Wood was running down the pitch after Wade top-edged the ball straight up into the air and looked as though he had a chance to complete the catch.

However Wade stuck his arm out and impeded Wood while attempting to return to his crease, which appeared to be an intentional act to hinder the English bowler.

Some suggested Wade was simply disorientated because he didn't know where the ball was, while others were certain he'd acted intentionally.

Either way, England captain Jos Buttler decided not to appeal and let Wade stay at the crease, saying he didn't want to get Australian fans offside leading into the T20 World Cup.

“I just had my eyes on the ball the whole time, so didn’t really see what happened," Buttler said after the game.

"They asked if I wanted to appeal, but I thought we are here for a long time in Australia, and it would be a risky one to go for so early in the trip.

“We’ve only just got to Australia so I thought, let’s carry on in the game.

Matthew Wade, pictured here after his dismissal in the first T20 between Australia and England.
Matthew Wade looks on after his dismissal in the first T20 between Australia and England. (Photo by Paul Kane - CA/Cricket Australia via Getty Images) (Paul Kane - CA via Getty Images)

“I didn’t see it live, I was just looking at the ball … I don’t know what I’m appealing for really.

“I could have asked maybe some of the other boys to see if they had a better view but I just thought, get on with the game.”

Asked if things would have been different if the incident occurred during the upcoming World Cup, Buttler said: “Maybe.”

Buttler's decision didn't prove costly, with Wade holing out in the deep in the final with 12 runs still needed, marking the end of Australia's resistance.

Nevertheless, the cricket world was gobsmacked that Buttler didn't appeal.

English fans were quick to point out that Wade was behind the stumps when Ben Stokes was given out obstructing the field during an ODI against England in 2015.

Some even went as far as to accuse Wade of 'cheating' on Sunday night.

England claim victory in first T20 against Australia

England openers Alex Hales (84 off 51 balls) and Jos Buttler (68 off 32) combined for a 138-run partnership to lift the visitors to 6-208 on Sunday, with Nathan Ellis (3-20 off four overs) the only bowler to escape the carnage.

In reply, Warner (73 off 44 balls) and Mitch Marsh (36 off 26) made a bright start in front of 25,755 fans, before Wood sparked a mini collapse of 3-15 to put the game on a knife's edge.

Australia needed 36 off the final 18 balls, and the equation became a doable 16 off eight as Wade started taking England to task, however it fell apart after his dismissal.

Rising star Cameron Green endured a tough night, returning figures of 0-38 off three overs with the ball, before being dismissed for just one while opening the batting.

Marcus Stoinis suffered an injury scare when he was struck by the ball on his right heel while running a quick single.

He recovered to make 35 off 15 balls, before becoming the first of Wood's three victims.

Wood finished with 3-34, while Sam Curran (2-35) snared two wickets in the final over - including the prized scalp of Wade - to ensure Australia would finish just short.

The decision to overlook Steve Smith for selection once again raised eyebrows given Australia left a host of players in Canberra for the final two games of the series.

with AAP

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.