'Hazmat suit ready': Nick Kyrgios casts further doubt on tennis return

Riley Morgan
Sports Reporter
Nick Kyrgios has taken another crack at the US Open after joking he would wear a 'hazmat suit' if he was going to travel over and play. (Getty Images)

Aussie maverick Nick Kyrgios has once again cast further doubt on his participation in the US Open after taking yet another dig at the organisers of the Grand Slam.

Kyrgios blasted the ATP in a tweet last week when he labelled them ‘selfish’ for trying to organise the event during not only the coronavirus pandemic, but also the social issues gripping the nation.

OH NO: Major virus twist in Novak Djokovic's 'reckless' tennis event

'ALL OVER’: Tennis match ends in confusion after umpire gaffe

On Monday, WTA World No.1 Ash Barty cast further doubt on her own role in the US Open and joined a chorus of Aussie tennis players questioning the viability due to the strict travel restrictions.

And Kyrgios has doubled down on Tuesday, before he mocked organisers about how he would have to travel to the US during the global pandemic.

“Smh - people that live in the US of course are pushing the Open to go ahead ‘Selfish’,” he wrote.

“I’ll get my hazmat suit ready for when I travel from Australia and then have to quarantine for 2 weeks on my return.”

Kyrgios’ original tweet was supported by countryman John Millman who said it felt ‘crazy’ the tennis world is contemplating playing a Grand Slam in the US under the current climate.

Anisimova questions Kyrgios-Millman

However, Amanda Animisova was one star to shut down Kyrgios’ ‘selfish’ claims after pointing to other sports returning before tennis.

In a since-deleted tweet, the 18-year-old reportedly replied to Millman and Kyrgios’ conversation and said she thought it was worth a try for tennis to return.

“I don’t see why not give it a try,” Anisimova wrote, according to News Corp.

Nick Kyrgios and Amanda Anisimova play in their Mixed Doubles first round match at the 2020 Australian Open. (Photo by Mike Owen/Getty Images)

“Of course there will be a ton of safety protocols in place, and many precautions made.

“Other sports are coming back, so why can’t tennis? Playing without fans is a huge bummer, but at least we get to play at all.”

World No.1 Novak Djokovic initially caused a stir in the tennis world after admitting that as things currently stand, he would rather skip America's grand slam and focus on the French Open.