Nick Kyrgios has condemned the “boneheaded” decision to hold Novak Djokovic's charity event in Croatia after Borna Coric revealed he was the second high-profile player to test positive to coronavirus.
Coric, who attended Djokovic's Adria Tour exhibition tournament last week, joins Grigor Dimitrov in being infected by the virus.
'DO SOMETHING ELSE’: Djokovic father's swipe at Roger Federer
'A LOT OF QUESTIONS': Ash Barty’s big US Open boycott hint
“Hi everyone, I wanted to inform you all that I tested positive for COVID-19,” the Croatian said on his official Twitter account.
“I'm feeling well and don't have any symptoms.”
Kyrgios took to Twitter on Monday night to remind fellow professionals, in his own blunt way, that the COVID-19 pandemic that has shut down tennis is not to be taken lightly.
"Boneheaded decision to go ahead with the 'exhibition'," the Australian posted.
"Speedy recovery fellas, but that's what happens when you disregard all protocols. This IS NOT A JOKE."
🤦🏽♂️🤦🏽♂️🤦🏽♂️ Boneheaded decision to go ahead with the ‘exhibition’ speedy recovery fellas, but that’s what happens when you disregard all protocols. This IS NOT A JOKE. https://t.co/SUdxfijkbK— Nicholas Kyrgios (@NickKyrgios) June 22, 2020
Grigor Dimitrov apologises after positive test
The final of the event, which would have featured world No.1 Djokovic and Russian Andrey Rublev, was cancelled as a result.
Bulgarian Dimitrov earlier revealed his positive test.
“I want to reach out and let my fans and friends know that I tested positive back in Monaco for COVID-19,” the former world No.3 wrote on Instagram.
“I want to make sure anyone who has been in contact with me during these past days gets tested and takes the necessary precautions.
“I am so sorry for any harm I might have caused. I am back home now and recovering.
“Thanks for your support and please stay safe and healthy.”
More controversy for Adria Tour
The second leg of the Adria Tour, a Balkan charity event organised by Djokovic while international tennis remains suspended, was scheduled to take place in Zadar, Croatia before being cancelled after Dimitrov's positive test.
“This is the best possible decision. We have to take care about security of all involved,” former Wimbledon champion Goran Ivanisevic, the tournament director of the Zadar event, said in remarks quoted by local media.
“Those who were in contact with Grigor will be tested. We are waiting for instructions of relevant bodies.
“I tested by chance three days ago and I'm negative.”
The Adria Tour played out to a daily crowd of 4000 fans at Djokovic’s tennis centre on the banks of the Danube in Belgrade last week.
The event has copped widespread criticism over a stark lack of social-distancing between fans, players and officials.
Dimitrov and Djokovic, as well as the other players, were also seen partying the night away at a packed Belgrade night spot last week.
I’m an ardent supporter of Djokovic, but this party and the whole #Adriatour with packed crowds send the message: there is no #Covid_19, don’t practice social distancing, do as you like. It is irresponsible. It is a disgrace.— Ginio Beij (@ginio_beij) June 16, 2020