Cops blasted as Curtis Scott dodges assault conviction

Curtis Scott is pictured playing for the Canberra Raiders.
Police have dropped charges of resisting arrest and assaulting police against Curtis Scott, after bodycam footage aired in court showed they weren't justified. (Photo by Jason McCawley/Getty Images)

Police assault claims against Canberra Raiders centre Curtis Scott have been dropped after police body-worn camera footage was shown to a Sydney magistrate.

The 22-year-old was charged with seven offences, including two of assaulting a police officer, following Australia Day celebrations in Sydney.

TRAGIC: Star’s cousin 'fighting for life' after 'horrible' accident

'SHAME': Network slammed for signing Arabella Del Busso

Police alleged they were alerted when Scott was seen acting erratically on Regent Street at Paddington before finding him asleep near Driver Avenue at Moore Park in the early hours of January 27.

He was accused of assaulting a female constable and male senior constable before being tasered, arrested and taken to Surry Hills Police Station.

In the hours leading up to the incident, Scott posted to social media videos of himself partying with Raiders teammates at The Ivy nightclub in the Sydney CBD.

In the Downing Centre Local Court on Wednesday, prosecutors showed 72 seconds of police bodycam footage showing Scott slumped against a tree when attempts to rouse him failed.

Magistrate Jennifer Giles commented: "It's drawing a very long frightening bow to argue police can handcuff someone they are trying to wake up while sleeping under a tree."

The prosecutor then withdrew the two counts of assaulting a police officer, one of resisting an officer in execution of duty, one of behaving in an offensive manner and one of remaining on Trust lands after being requested to leave.

Scott has pleaded guilty to two counts of behaving in an offensive manner near a public place.

He will return to court on Thursday for sentence and argument over legal costs.

Raiders to move on from NRL grand final rematch

Wearing the battle scars from their NRL grand final rematch against the Sydney Roosters, Canberra captain Jarrod Croker says his team are not expecting a let-up against St George Illawarra.

Croker was sporting a black eye from his side's 18-6 loss to the Roosters and is ready for another physical clash on Saturday with the Dragons set to make a statement in front of incoming coach Anthony Griffin.

Curtis Scott is pictured during Canberra Raiders training.
Curtis Scott pleaded guilty to two charges of offensive behaviour after he was found passed out in Moore Park. (Photo by Ian Hitchcock/Getty Images)

The 11th-placed Dragons will also be stinging after losing to North Queensland last round in golden point.

The Raiders, meanwhile, sit two points behind the fourth-placed Roosters in the hunt for a top-four spot .

"They'd obviously be disappointed with last weekend's result as they put in a lot of effort in Townsville only to get pipped on the post," Croker said on Wednesday.

"They will be out for redemption and they've got some classy outside backs who have really hit some form, so it will be a tough game."