'I've made mistakes': Conor McGregor reveals what doomed his last UFC bout

Conor McGregor is no stranger to living life on the wild side, but even he can admit his preparation for his now infamous loss to Khabib Nurmagomedov in 2018 was less than ideal.

The Irish UFC superstar has catapulted from one controversy to the next since his loss at UFC 229, which ended with members of both camps brawling among the crowd.

McGregor hasn’t set foot in the UFC octagon since that day, and has found himself in trouble with the law more than once in the two years since.

In an interview with MMA expert Ariel Helwani, McGregor opened up about the week leading up to that fight, including breaking down his training regime - or lack thereof.

“I was drinking all bleeding fight week. I had venom in me or something,” he said.

Conor McGregor revealed in an interview that he had spent the week before his infamous 2018 bout with Khabib Nurmagomedov drinking. (Photo by Stanislav Krasilnikov\TASS via Getty Images)

“I had people holed up in a hotel and I would ring and arrange a fight, they would come to the gym and have a full-blown fight with no headguards.

“I’d have a war, win and knock the guy out and go off and celebrate and come back in three days.

“I wasn’t doing what I should have been doing; I’ve made mistakes and I’ve been man enough to admit them.”

McGregor looking to put assault allegations behind him

McGregor went on to say he hadn’t had a single drink as her prepared for his UFC comeback against Donald ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone.

There were two investigations into separate incidents of sexual assault allegedly committed by McGregor.

The first came in December 2018 and he was arrested in January. The news didn’t break until March.

Another allegation came in October in his native Ireland and sparked questions of whether McGregor could get a visa for the Jan. 18 fight.

He was also arrested in March for allegedly stealing and smashing a fan’s phone outside of a club in Miami.

He pleaded guilty in November to punching an older man in a Dublin pub.

McGregor said he has had a solid five months of work since the last time he sat down with Helwani.

WITH YAHOO SPORT US/Cassandra Negley