- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
Charles Barkley won't leave TNT after all. The NBA Hall of Famer turned broadcaster publicly flirted with joining LIV Golf the past few weeks, but decided to pass on the opportunity, according to the New York Post.
LIV Golf was reportedly looking to hire Barkley as a broadcaster. Barkley met with tour CEO Greg Norman to discuss the role and even played in the pro-am before an LIV event Thursday. At that event, Barkley said he was still waiting on an offer from LIV.
Something changed overnight as Barkley is now taking his name out of consideration for the LIV job, according to the Post.
“I want to thank Greg Norman and LIV for their interest in me,” Barkley said in a phone interview. “I wish those guys great success and nothing but the best. But, in my best interest, and being fair to Turner — because Turner and basketball have given me every single thing in my life — It is best for me to move on and I’m staying with Turner for the rest of my TV career.”
Barkley made that decision before receiving an offer from LIV Golf. Barkley previously said it would take a lot of money for him to leave TNT. He reportedly has three years and $30 million left on his contract at TNT.
Charles Barkley faced criticism for flirting with LIV Golf
Barkley received criticism for publicly flirting with LIV Golf. The company is funded by Saudi Arabia, which has a miserable record of human-rights abuses. Barkley dismissed that criticism in an attempt to justify joining the network.
The PGA Tour has acted swiftly to suspend and ban LIV golfers from participating in PGA Tour events. Barkley has participated in PGA Tour events in the past, and may have also been subject to a ban had he joined LIV as a broadcaster.
Barkley will remain at TNT, where he's made himself an even bigger name for his personality and blunt analysis of the NBA.