Caxton Hotel 'under investigation' over Allan Langer 'cover-up'

Chris Young
·Sports Reporter
·3-min read
A 50-50 split image shows the Caxton Hotel on the left, and Brisbane Broncos assistant coach Allan Langer on the right.
The Caxton Hotel, where Brisbane Broncos assistant coach Allan Langer breached NRL bubble rules, is reportedly under police investigation for their own breach of Queensland COVID-19 rules. Pictures: Google Maps/Getty Images

The pub Brisbane Broncos legend Allan Langer visited with two other Brisbane coaches which triggered a COVID-19 scare in the NRL is reportedly under investigation for sneaking the league great in.

The Courier Mail is reporting the Caxton Hotel in central Brisbane is being investigated for potential breaches of the state’s coronavirus rules for allegedly sneaking Langer in for his birthday.

BAD TO WORSE: Seibold takes police action over 'vile' rumours

‘ABSOLUTE JOKE’: Uproar over Sydney Opera House 'disgrace'

According to the report, it is understood Langer was not signed in to the hotel’s register in an attempt to fly under the NRL’s radar.

Langer was reportedly ushered in through a back door so he could celebrate his birthday.

The Caxton Hotel declined to comment to the Courier Mail.

A subsequent report from Nine News alleged police were investigating whether the hotel had switched off CCTV and ID scanners outside the venue, in a bid to sneak Langer in.

“Queensland Police are investigating whether the Caxton Hotel snuck Aflie Langer and two others in the back door for Alfie's birthday function,” Nine News reported.

“They're also looking at whether or not the ID scanners and CCTV cameras were switched off as part of that visit to the Caxton - that would be a breach of the hotel's license.

“So far, the Caxton are not commenting but police are definitely looking into this.”

Both those acts would be in breach of the hotel’s license, the report said.

Assistant coaching duo Ryan Whitley and Blake Duncan had joined Langer on his trip to the pub, with all three subsequently barred from travelling to the Broncos’ away game against South Sydney last weekend.

The three coaches’ visit to the pus was one element of a torrid week for the Broncos, with star Tevita Pangai Jr also caught in breach of the rules after visiting a barbershop associated with a bikie gang.

Broncos 'set to sack' forward over bubble breach

Pangai Jr looks to have played his last game in the NRL this season, with reports the Broncos have decided to tear up his $650,000-a-year contract in the wake of his virus breach.

The second-rower was stood down for 14 days and after attending the opening of a Brisbane barber shop linked to a bikie gang on Saturday.

Pangai Jr attended the event despite players being told they were effectively in quarantine under the NRL's biosecurity protocols after Friday's loss to South Sydney at ANZ Stadium.

The Broncos were understood to be filthy with their star, who was also reportedly trying to engineer an exit from the club after contacting the Roosters last week.

Tevita Pangai Jr is pictured playing in an NRL match.
Tevita Pangai Jr's NRL future is on doubt after breaching coronavirus rules to visit a bikie gang associated barbershop. (Photo by Albert Perez/Getty Images)

Following an investigation by the club and extensive conversations, multiple outlets were reporting on Tuesday that the Broncos have decided to tear up the remainder of his contract.

The Broncos are yet to confirm news of Pangai Jr's sacking after releasing a statement in the wake of the reports.

"The club is still finalising its investigation into Tevita Pangai Junior’s breach of Project Apollo protocols," the statement read.

"The final determination of any sanction has not been made at this time."