Castleford beaten by St Helens, Leeds go level at top

1 / 1
Castleford beaten by St Helens, Leeds go level at top

Castleford Tigers' early dominance of Super League was interrupted as they beaten 26-22 by St Helens on Monday.

The Tigers have been the pacesetters in the opening stages of the season, winning eight of their first nine games, but saw a second-half surge fall short at the Totally Wicked Stadium.

Saints led 20-8 at the break, recovering after falling 8-0 behind thanks to tries from Matty Fleming, Luke Douglas and Mark Percival, who also kicked four first-half goals.

Ben Roberts crossed and Greg Eden went over for his second after the interval to cut the deficit to four points, but Regan Grace's second try in as many games gave Saints breathing room and rendered the completion of Roberts' double immaterial as the hosts claimed a first win since head coach Keiron Cunningham's exit last week.

Leeds Rhinos are now level with Castleford at the top following a 42-22 win over bottom club Widnes Vikings. Braces from Matt Parcell, Joel Moon and Kallum Watkins, who kicked seven goals, helped the Rhinos to an easy win.

Salford Red Devils are two points adrift of that duo having seen their five-match winning run ended in emphatic fashion by Catalans Dragons, who eased to a 38-6 success thanks to winger Vincent Duport's hat-trick.

Wigan Warriors completed an Easter double as they followed up Friday's defeat of St Helens with a 16-10 triumph at Wakefield Trinity.

The visitors held a two-point lead throughout the second half before Liam Marshall made sure of victory three minutes from time with his ninth try in seven matches.

Warrington Wolves claimed a third straight win as last year's Grand Finalists recovery continued with a 26-24 triumph over Huddersfield Giants.

Jermaine McGillvary crossed late to give Huddersfield, who are now without a win in eight games, a chance to earn a draw but – with a vociferous home crowd doing their best to put him off – Danny Brough missed the conversion.

Elsewhere, Hull FC claimed a 24-10 win over struggling Leigh Centurions.