Carlos Alcaraz's brutal announcement after return from injury lay-off
The 19-year-old Spaniard made the sad announcement after just returning to the ATP Tour.
Carlos Alcaraz has announced he won't be able to play in Acapulco at the Mexican Open after re-injuring his leg that kept him out of the Australian Open. The World No.2 only recently returned to tennis in February after missing the Australian Open due to a leg injury in pre-season.
The 19-year-old Spaniard returned at the Argentina Open and claimed the ATP 250 event after nearly four months out. He followed his successful return up on clay with a finals appearance at the Rio Open, but limped his way towards a defeat to British star Cameron Norrie.
SAD: Rafa Nadal leaves tennis fans shattered in Indian Wells news
NOT GOOD: Tennis fans left saddened over Emma Raducanu news
Alcaraz admitted after the match that he was in pain, which saw him call the trainer but not take an injury time out. "It's tough to feel pain in the same muscle you had an injury in a couple months ago," Alcaraz said after the match.
"I really like Acapulco, I really want to go there and play in front of the Mexican fans...I will try my best."
However, in tough news, Alcaraz has announced he has withdrawn from Acapulco having strained his hamstring during the final. "Unfortunately, I won't be able to play in the Mexican Open. I have a Grade 1 strain in my right hamstring that will keep me out for several days," Alcaraz said.
"I'm really sad I can't compete, but now it's time to think about recovering and being ready as soon as possible. I hope to see you all soon."
I'm really sad I can't compete here, but now it's time to think about recovering and being ready as soon as possible. I hope to see you all soon! ❤️🇲🇽
— Carlos Alcaraz (@carlosalcaraz) February 28, 2023
Tennis world reacts to Carlos Alcaraz announcement
Alcaraz's latest update has left some fans questioning whether the Spaniard will be fit in time for Indian Wells. The 19-year-old reached the semi-final of the ATP 1000 event last year and followed it up with a win at the Miami Open.
The World No.2 would be in a race to be fit for the two events to defend his ranking points leading into the clay court season. Tennis fans were quick to wish the 19-year-old a speedy recovery having only just returned to the ATP Tour.
Sad as well for you. But good decision based on what you learned. Looking forward to see you play soon
— Malcolm (@Mal2392) February 28, 2023
wish you a speedy recovery carlitos
— cora 🌟🎾🎶 (@coraventureira) February 28, 2023
Sending you healing ❤️🩹 thoughts. Hope to see you in Indian Wells ❤️🙏🏻👏🏻💪🏻
— Tina (@yogawithTina) February 28, 2023
While Alcaraz will miss Acapulco, fellow Spaniard Rafa Nadal has announced he will skip Indian Wells and the Miami Open after failing to recover from a hip injury he suffered at the Australian Open. The Spanish champion suffered a shock loss to Mackenzie McDonald in the second round at Melbourne Park and was clearly hampered by his hip.
Nadal was spotted training on clay at the Rafa Nadal Academy the other day and the hint that he could be solely focusing on Roland Garros. And on Wednesday the Spaniard announced his withdrawal from the events.
"I am sad that I won't be able to compete at Indian Wells nor Miami. Very sad not to be there," he said on his Twitter account. "I'll miss all my US fans but I hope to see them later this year during the summer swing."
Nadal won at Indian Wells in 2007, 2009 and 2013. The 36-year-old Spaniard, who was runner-up last year in Indian Wells, has not competed since his Australian Open title defence in January.
Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.