James Sutherland has announced his resignation as Cricket Australia chief executive, giving 12 months’ notice.
A former first-class cricketer with Victoria, he was appointed in 2001 as Malcolm Speed’s successor at the then Australian Cricket Board.
He revealed his decision on Wednesday with the plan to be involved in CA’s transition.
“After nearly 20 years at Cricket Australia and 17 years as chief executive the time is right for me and my family,” Sutherland told reporters, flanked by chairman David Peever.
“My successor will have a strong and stable platform to lead our sport and deliver on our bold aspirations for cricket to be Australia’s favourite spot and a sport for all Australians.
“My overwhelming feeling today is a sense of gratitude. I feel fortunate to be given the opportunity to be given this job.
“I thank David and his five predecessors for having the confidence in me and their friendship, support and counsel.”
The news comes soon after a tumultuous period in Australian cricket that included the pay dispute, ball-tampering saga and a new billion-dollar broadcast deal.
SEVENTEEN YEARS: Six key moments in Australian cricket under James Sutherland
Darren Lehmann quit as coach after the controversy, while Test captain Steve Smith and vice-captain David Warner were banned for 12 months.
“When you work in an issues-rich environment these things (scandals) come from time to time,” Sutherland said.
“(The ball-tampering saga) hasn’t had a bearing on my decision. David and I have been talking about this for two years.”
Former NSW batsman Kevin Roberts was last week named CA’s first chief operating officer and is widely seen as a potential successor to Sutherland.
Roberts led the acrimonious pay dispute that threatened to wipe out a summer of cricket before an agreement was reached after Sutherland stepped in.
Peever said CA may favour an Australian who is involved in cricket for the role.