Brazilian Joao Souza has been banned from tennis for life after being convicted of multiple match-fixing and other corruption offences.
A Tennis Integrity Unit (TIU) investigation found the 31-year-old had committed several anti-corruption breaches from 2015-19 including fixing matches at ATP Challenger and ITF Futures tournaments in Brazil, Mexico, the United States and Czech Republic.
'CAN’T BELIEVE IT’: Rafa Nadal melts hearts with Australian Open ball girl pic
‘OH MY GOD’: Nadal kisses ball girl in beautiful Aus Open moment
"The player is permanently ineligible to compete in or attend any sanctioned event organised or recognised by the governing bodies of the sport," the TIU said on Saturday in a statement.
Souza, who had been provisionally suspended since March 2019 pending completion of the investigation, was also fined $200,000 following a disciplinary hearing on January 14 in London.
The TIU said Souza had not reported corrupt approaches, had failed to cooperate with their inquiry, including destroying evidence, and "solicited other players to not use best efforts" in matches.
Souza, reaching a career-high singles ranking of 69 in 2015, has dropped to 742 in the world.
As a doubles player, he achieved his highest ranking of 70 in January 2013.