'Can't wait': Boxing world erupts over Manny Pacquiao announcement

·Sports Editor
·3-min read
Manny Pacquiao, pictured here after beating Keith Thurman in 2019.
Manny Pacquiao celebrates after beating Keith Thurman in 2019. (Photo by Ethan Miller/Getty Images)

Manny Pacquiao has sent fans into a frenzy after announcing he'll fight unbeaten unified welterweight world champion Errol Spence in Las Vegas in August.

The 42-year-old boxing legend will be fighting for the first time since he beat Keith Thurman in July 2019 for the WBA welterweight title.

'STARTING TO WORRY': Paul Gallen's scary head knock admission

COP THAT: UFC fighter thwarts robber's attempted car break-in

He revealed his plans with a Twitter post of a promotional poster for the bout captioned: "Pacquiao v Spence, August 21, 2021, Las Vegas, Nevada".

The venue is expected to be the MGM Grand, although Pacquiao told The Athletic from the Philippines that he hoped the fight would be at Allegiant Stadium - the 70,000-seat home of the NFL's Las Vegas Raiders.

Spence, 31, the WBC and IBF welterweight world champ, is 27-0 with 21 knockouts.

Pacquiao (62-7-2, 39 KOs) has won titles in eight divisions.

The serving senator in the Philippines told The Athletic the fight "might be" his last. If so, he appears to want to go out with a bang.

"I love to challenge the top guy," Pacquiao said.

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.
This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.
This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.
This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.
This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.
This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

Manny Pacquiao promotor takes aim at Floyd Mayweather

Manny Pacquiao Promotions president Sean Gibbons told ESPN: "Many people believe Spence is the best welterweight in the world and one of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world, and Pacquiao has never shied away from fighting real fights.

"He's not going to make a fool of himself fighting YouTubers or social media guys like Floyd Mayweather is, and he wants to continue his legacy. 

"He's always fought the best, and he doesn't want to change now."

Errol Spence Jr, pictured here in action against Danny Garcia in 2020.
Errol Spence Jr in action against Danny Garcia in 2020. (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)

Mayweather, who beat in 2015, has agreed to a June 6 exhibition bout with YouTuber Logan Paul.

Spence is coming off a dominant December victory over Danny Garcia - his first fight since surviving a near fatal rollover car accident.

Pacquiao had been planning a return to the ring for some time, but earlier this month the targeted opponent had appeared to be American Mikey Garcia.

Philippine media had said a July fight against Garcia was on the cards.

That came after Top Rank chief Bob Arum told BoxingScene.com that Pacquiao and Terence Crawford had an agreement in place for a June 5 bout in Abu Dhabi, but it had fallen apart because the people putting up the money missed the deadline.

with agencies

Watch 'Mind Games', the new series from Yahoo Sport Australia exploring the often brutal mental toil elite athletes go through in pursuit of greatness:

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting