'He's cracked it': Boxing icon fuels George Kambosos' Aussie dream

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·4-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Seen here, George Kambosos reacts after his epic title triumph over Teofimo Lopez.
Influential fight promoter Eddie Hearn is backing George Kambosos' plans for an epic stadium fight in Australia. Pic: Getty

Australia's newest boxing world champion George Kambosos is eyeing up a blockbuster bout in front of 80,000 fans Down Under after his stunning upset of the previously undefeated Teofimo Lopez on Sunday (AEDT).

The Australian used a high-energy attack and a stinging overhand right to become the new unified lightweight boxing champion in a split decision win on Saturday night in New York that sent shockwaves through the sport.

Kambosos won by 115-111 and 115-112 on two judges' scorecards to improve to 20-0, with 10 KOs. One judge gave the fight to Lopez 114-113.

'NO CLASS': Boxing world erupts over Teofimo Lopez 'disgrace'

WOW: Tim Tszyu's swipe at dad Kostya after Takeshi Inoue fight

'VERY DOUBTFUL': Paul Gallen's bug snub for Sonny Bill Williams

"I've got all the belts, I'm the shot caller right now," Kambosos said after the split decision victory.

"I've got all the jewels, I'm the greatest fighter in Australian history now. I've just pulled off the greatest win in Australian history.

"I've done something that no one's ever done in Australian history.

"And no one's ever done that to Lopez - battered him, left him bloodied and bruised - so it shows what I bring to the table.

"So whoever it is next, these guys have got to earn it. I've had to earn it the hard way. I've had to go out and into the lion's den, go into their backyard.

"So I'll pick the one that earns it the most."

Kambosos wants a blockbuster stadium showdown in front of 80,000 fans in Australia and crucially, the plan has the backing of one of the sport's most influential figures, Eddie Hearn.

The Brit's Matchroom was awarded the rights to the Kambosos-Lopez fight after original broadcaster Triller was found to have defaulted on their contract.

Hearn - who promotes two of the biggest fighters in the world in the form of Anthony Joshua and Saul "Canelo" Alvarez - said he would be more than happy to make Kambosos' Aussie fight dream a reality.

"Love to work with George. Would love to take him to Australia," Hearn said after the Aussie's upset win.

"They'll think that they can beat George Kambosos. The kid's gonna make a fortune. He's cracked it and good luck to him.

"Hopefully it's the Devin Haney fight because hopefully he wants to win the final belt and he'll believe he can win that.

"We'll do it in Vegas, we'll do it in Sydney, don't matter."

The new IBF, WBA and WBO belt holder will remain in the US for another week to take in Haney's WBC title defence against fellow American Joseph Diaz in Las Vegas.

Seen here, George Kambosos poses with his lightweight belts after beating Teofimo Lopez in New York.
George Kambosos holds all the lightweight belts after his shock win against previously unbeaten Teofimo Lopez in New York. Pic: Getty

Kambosos said "was no celebration" after his incredible triumph over Lopez, with the Aussie getting straight to business in scouting his rivals and promoting his own brand while in the States.

But despite his low-key celebrations, Kambosos said when he did return next week to Sydney to reunite with his wife and children, he still expected some fanfare.

George Kambosos plotting Aussie stadium fight

"I believe that they've already started that process of getting a bronze statue in Sydney," Kambosos said.

"I'm sure there will be some ticker parade or whatever they're going to do.

"But I've got some more business out here first. I'm going to scout and scoop all my opponents and make some more noise out here with my people."

The 28-year-old said he was leaning towards another unified super-fight against Haney, should the undefeated champion see off Diaz, rather than defend his straps individually.

"Haney, there's going to be a big push there. That's a fight I really like," Kambosos said.

"But no matter what, it's got to be in Australia, a big stadium fight in Sydney or Melbourne.

"Now that I'm coming back with all the glory, all the belts, we're going to do 80,000 people in a massive stadium.

"It's all deserved. I've really earned my stripes and it's about time."

Kambosos (20-0, 10KO) hasn't fought in Australia four more than four years, with his past six bouts taking place in the US, UK, Greece and Malaysia.

with AAP

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting