Errol Spence Jr will make his return to the boxing ring this weekend for the first time since cheating death in a horror car crash last year.
Spence Jr was hospitalised last October after sustaining facial lacerations in a one-car crash in Dallas.
CCTV footage showed the horrifying moment his $300,000 Ferrari flipped multiple times, with photos later emerging of the mangled wreckage.
Police said Spence’s vehicle was travelling at high speed when it went across a centre median and flipped over several times, throwing Spence out of the car.
The boxing champ was treated in intensive care, but has since made a full recovery and will defend his WBC and IBF welterweight titles against Danny Garcia this weekend.
The 30-year-old said his horror accident changed his perspective immensely.
“It changed my perspective on life,” Spence told Kevin Iole of Yahoo Sports.
“Being as young as I am, you think you’re invincible and you’re going to live forever.
“Spending time with my little ones, especially, it changed my overall perspective knowing you’re not going to be here forever and that you need to get the most out of life that you can.”
Spence began working out lightly three months after the accident but didn’t spar until September - a full 11 months later.
— Kevin Reece (@KevinReeceWFAA) October 10, 2019
He said he wanted to let his body heal and be convinced that he was fully recovered.
Fighting made Spence rich beyond his wildest imagination and has allowed him to take care of his family in a manner where literally nothing is out of reach.
He wondered many times, though, if it was all over.
He was 29 at the time of the accident and admitted that there were more than a few days when he thought all that was left in boxing for him were the memories.
“Of course it runs through your mind, ‘Am I really going to be able to fight again?’” Spence, now 30, told Yahoo Sports.
“I didn’t tell anybody that was running through my mind, but it was.”
Errol Spence puts undefeated record on the line
Spence unified the World Boxing Council and International Boxing Federation titles just two weeks before the accident with a split-decision victory over fellow American Shawn Porter in Los Angeles.
The win improved his record to 26-0 with 21 knockouts.
A welterweight quarter-finalist at the 2012 London Olympics, Spence made his professional debut in 2012 and won his first world title, the IBF crown, by knocking out Britain’s Kell Brook in England in 2017.
He defended the title four times, beating American Lamont Peterson and Mexico’s Carlos Ocampo last year and American Mikey Garcia last March before his unification showdown triumph over Porter.
There had been early talk about a 2020 fight between Porter and reigning World Boxing Association welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao, the 40-year-old Filipino icon who stands 62-7 with two drawn and 39 knockouts.
with agencies and Yahoo Sports US
Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.