- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
Australian heavyweight boxing champion Justis Huni and his family have been rocked by a terrifying drive-by shooting incident at their home in southern Brisbane.
Police are investigating the shooting, in which up to five bullets were fired into the 23-year-old's home in Sunnybank Hills, before 7am on Thursday.
'SHAME ON YOU': America left raging at Aussie boxing fans
'CAN'T BELIEVE IT': Boxing world erupts over Aussie monster's KO
No one was hurt by the hail of gunfire, but it is understood there were 10 people home at the time of the attack.
The incident comes less than one week before Huni's heavyweight showdown against Joe Goodall in Brisbane, with the winner touted for a potential world title shot.
Huni’s father and trainer Rocki, labelled it a “distraction” before next week's fight but said his camp would "carry on” regardless.
Rocki Huni told Fox Sports that family members were "lucky to be alive" after revealing that his wife is often up nursing their six-month-old grandchild near where the bullets were found.
“The scary thing is one of the bullets was where my wife sits to feed out grandchild,’ Rocki Huni said.
“No one was injured thankfully but we are all pretty shaken.
“It’s not an ideal build up.”
Huni's fight promoter Dean Lonergan said despite the drive-by shooting scare, the fight will still go ahead as scheduled.
“They woke up and found five bullets in the living room,” Lonergan told foxsports.com.au.
“Justis was at home and there were up to 10 family and relatives in the house, including a young baby.”
Justis Huni sticks to training regime despite ordeal
Despite the terrifying ordeal, the boxing champ stuck to his rigorous training schedule in the lead-up to his heavyweight bout against Goodall.
"He actually still went training this morning - got to keep it normal," Huni's promoter Sean Lawson told AAP.
"Ironically enough, they usually wake up at four o'clock ... this morning was a different wake-up call with five bullets through the windows."
The gunshots shattered windows in the home's front lounge room.
Lawson insisted Mr Huni remained unrattled by the incident and his preparations had not been derailed for the upcoming contest with Goodall.
Undefeated Australian pair Huni and Goodall were initially due to fight in February before a second COVID-19 infection for Huni put the event on hold.
Huni, who has won all five of his professional fights, was set to contend for an Olympic medal in Tokyo last year until a hand injury, aggravated in a 10th-round stoppage victory over Paul Gallen in June 2021, ruled him out.
He has not fought since then, contracting Covid-19 during a United States training camp and then falling victim to the virus again on his return to Australia.
Goodall, a Commonwealth Games silver medallist in 2014 and world amateur bronze medallist in 2017, has seven wins and a draw since turning professional in 2018.
Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.