Donald Trump's 'obscene' payday after landing bizarre new role

·Sports Editor
·3-min read
Donald Trump, pictured here in 2016.
Donald Trump has landed a new role as a boxing commentator. (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

Donald Trump has reportedly been boasting about the 'obscene' payday he's landed to commentate a boxing bout between former world heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield and MMA star Vitor Belfort.

FITE TV announced this week that the former US president will provide commentary for the Holyfield-Belfort fight on Saturday.

'USELESS': UFC Octagon girls hit back at legend's swipe

'MY HEART ACHES': Boxing rocked by teen's death after horror injury

"I love great fighters and great fights," Trump said in a statement released by FITE TV.

"I look forward to seeing both this Saturday night and sharing my thoughts ringside.

"You won't want to miss this special event."

According to TMZ, Trump is pretty happy with the payday he's landed as a result, boasting to friends about the 'obscene' amount of money.

The main commentary for the bout will be on the HBO channel, but viewers who pay $49.99 can opt to listen on FITE to Trump, who will be joined by his son Don Jr.

Trump called into a pre-fight press conference for the event on Thursday, taking a dig at Joe Biden in the process.

“If you said if I had to box somebody, I think probably my easiest fight would be Joe Biden,” he said. 

“Because I think he’d go down very, very quickly.”

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

Controversy over Holyfield and Belfort fight

The 58-year-old Holyfield will fight Belfort at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Hollywood, Florida.

Former boxing great Oscar De La Hoya was originally slated to fight, but was forced to step aside after testing positive for Covid-19.

The bout, which is being held on the 20th anniversary of the Al-Qaeda attacks on New York and Washington, was originally scheduled to take place at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

It was moved to Florida after California boxing authorities refused to sanction the fight between Belfort and Holyfield - who will be a month shy of his 59th birthday on fight night.

Evander Holyfield and Vitor Belfort, pictured here at a press conference ahead of their heavyweight fight.
Evander Holyfield and Vitor Belfort pose during a press conference ahead of their heavyweight fight. (Photo by Eric Espada/Getty Images)

Holyfield hasn't fought since 2011, but he had signed to fight Kevin McBride earlier this year - with a possible future fight against his old nemesis Mike Tyson on the horizon.

After the proposed McBride fight failed to materialise, Holyfield posted on Instagram in August that he'd been "training hard for months."

"I promise my fans I will step back in the ring at least one more time before I lay my gloves to rest for good," he said.

Trump is no stranger to boxing, having hosted a number of fights at his former Atlantic City casinos.

The other scheduled bouts are Anderson Silva v Tito Ortiz. David Haye v Joe Fournier and Andy Vences v Jono Carroll.

with agencies

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting