Bernard Tomic and Nick Kyrgios may have finally buried the hatchet. The two Aussie tennis stars have been feuding for years, with their brutal barbs at one another on social media keeping the tennis world entertained.
Even as recently as December, Kyrgios reignited the beef between the two players after hitting back at a suggestion from a tennis fan that Tomic deserved a wildcard at the Australian Open. Of course, Kyrgios' own campaign at Melbourne Park ended before it began, with the 27-year-old forced to withdraw before his first round match due to a knee injury.
'DEPORT HIM AGAIN': Novak Djokovic savaged over ugly act at Aus Open
'ARE YOU PITCHING': Tsitsipas called out over Margot Robbie comment
Kyrgios provided an update on his recovery from the injury after posting a message of thanks to supporters from his hospital bed, having just undergone knee surgery. Responding to Kyrgios' update on social media, Tomic appeared to extend an olive branch to his compatriot, by wishing Kyrgios a speedy recovery.
Kyrgios shared the comment from Tomic on his Instagram story, which was accompanied by a photo from the hospital the 27-year-old was staying at. “Despite our differences we go way back,” Tomic said. “Wishing (Nick) a quick recovery. Hope to see him back on the circuit soon.”
Kyrgios - who simply responded by saying "cheer bruh" - revealed that his post-operation recuperation began with watching Novak Djokovic's Australian Open masterclass against Alex de Minaur in the fourth round. After the nine-time Australian Open champion blew away his fellow Aussie 6-2 6-1 6-2, Kyrgios tweeted "Watching Novak tonight makes me feel good about my tennis in general. how have I beaten this guy", accompanied by two laughing-with-tears emojis.
The 27-year-old went under the knife on Monday in his home city of Canberra. He was ruled out of the Australian Open after an MRI scan on his knee revealed a cyst as a result of a small lateral meniscus tear.
Coincidentally it was a practice match against Djokovic that confirmed to Kyrgios his knee was too badly affected to play in the tournament. Before the operation he tweeted a photo of himself ready for the operating theatre with the words 'It's time' and an anxious emoji.
Afterwards he sent one of himself on a hospital bed with air tubes in his nostrils and making a middle finger gesture, but with four green ticks seemingly indicating the op went well. That was confirmed when he posted on Instagram: "Surgery complete. I'll be doing everything I can do get back to my best. To the real ones checking in and sending the vibes.. I love you."
Nick Kyrgios and Bernard Tomis have ugly history
The nice social media exchange between Tomic and Kyrgios came after their feud took another explosive turn in May last year when a social media user suggested that Tomic was the better player between the two. That was despite being ranked in the 400s and languishing in the Challenger Tour.
Kyrgios - in true form - hit back by pointing to his greater number of tiles, higher rank and vastly superior career earnings as proof that he was the better tennis player. “It’s time for BT to just quiet down. He ain’t even playing anymore. I got years left," Kyrgios wrote at the time.
Things really got heated between the pair, however, when Tomic suggested that the only reason Kyrgios got so annoyed by comparisons to him was because he secretly looked up to the Queenslander. “The only logical explanation is that I’m his idol,” Tomic said.
“He’s always been in my shadow growing up. That’s why anytime someone mentions my name to him, it gets under his skin.
“He knows he can’t re-write history. The records that I set when I was 16, 17, 18, and 19 — youngest slam quarter-finalist at Wimbledon, the biggest tournament in the world."
Kyrgkios responded by writing: “HAHA TOMIC let’s not forget the time I paid for your flight home from Shanghai because you had no money. Hahahaha re-write history, you are the most HATED athlete in Australia. You are right, no one can take over that.”
Tomic finally tried to settle the beef between the pair by suggesting that they both $1 million on the table in a high stakes head-to-head match. “I’ll put up a million and you put up a million, let’s see who is the better player,” Tomic said.
“Let the public see who is better for once and for all. I’ve beaten you easy (sic) before and I’ll do it again. Plus we’ll play on grass so you don’t make any excuses. Anywhere, anytime.” Tomic's challenge made reference to the one and only time they've faced each other in their careers, with Tomic claiming bragging rights at the 2019 Kooyong Classic.
Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.