'Absolutely terrifying': Big Bash rocked by 'sickening' Marcus Stoinis moment

Sam Goodwin
Sports Editor

There were scary scenes in the Big Bash on Monday night when Marcus Stoinis was struck by a frightening blow to the head.

Stoinis fell to the ground in shock after being hit on the grill of his helmet by a Riley Meredith thunderbolt, but was able to get straight back to his feet.

'YOU CAN’T DO THAT': Aussie umpire's 'embarrassing' act shocks cricket world

WHAT ON EARTH: Fan fury after Kiwi Test start evicted from MCG

In commentary for Fox Sports, Brett Lee said it was a “sickening thud” as Stoinis was struck by the 146km/h delivery.

Marcus Stoinis was struck on the helmet by a delivery from Riley Meredith. (Photo by Jason McCawley - CA/Cricket Australia via Getty Images )

Andy Maher described it as “terrifying” on Channel 7, while fans and fellow commentators were also rocked by the scary incident.

"He was bowling pretty quick and there was a bit of skid on the wicket," Stoinis told FoxSports after the game.

"I've got one of those helmets with a titanium grill. I was surprised it didn't go for six. It was pretty loud, it was like an orchestra in there."

Stars win rain-affected match

Stoinis brushed off the blow to top score with 25 as Melbourne Stars successfully walked the Duckworth-Lewis tightrope to beat Hobart Hurricanes.

The match on Monday night in Launceston was called off with the Stars on 3-55 off 7.3 overs, chasing a revised target of 80 from 11 overs.

Their score proved enough under the Duckworth-Lewis system to secure a four-run win, their second over Hobart this summer.

James Faulkner gave the Hurricanes a sniff with back-to-back wickets in the first over.

The former Australia allrounder had the ball swinging to trap Nic Maddinson (two) and Nick Larkin for a duck.

But the Stars were measured from there.

Peter Handscomb notched a valuable 22 not out and put on a 52-run stand with Stoinis.

Riley Meredith checked on Marcus Stoinis after the scary moment. (Photo by Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images)

Earlier, play was halted twice in the Hobart innings as they reached 5-69 from 11 overs after being sent in.

"Unfortunately we couldn't keep momentum in our favour. It was pretty frustrating," Hurricanes captain Ben McDermott told reporters.

"It was a balancing act the whole night but we unfortunately came up just short."

It was an evening of mixed emotions for D'Arcy Short, who was dismissed for a third-ball duck edging Dale Steyn (2-12) to Handscomb in the opening over.

Short was moments before the match called into Australia's one-day squad for a three-game series against India next month after Sean Abbott withdrew with injury.

Lightning strikes and rain forced the umpires to pause play in the sixth over of Hobart's innings, before rain again stopped the contest with the home side 3-56 after 9.4 overs.

Nathan Coulter-Nile (2-14) took the wicket of opener Caleb Jewell (26 from 28 balls) in the final over.

with AAP