Novak Djokovic, Alexander Zverev and Bruno Soares have expressed their opposition of a reported plan to have international players arrive Down Under for the Australian Open in January.
Australian Open officials had been hoping to have players arrive in the country in December to allow them to quarantine for 14 days before playing in lead-up events.
‘DISAPPOINTING’: Novak Djokovic lashes out at 'shock' ban
However the lead-up events are now in massive jeopardy with the Victorian government reportedly unwilling to allow players into the country until January.
That would likely mean players will finish their 14 days in isolation before heading straight into the Australian Open.
But playing the first grand slam of the year with no preparation time would be “very dangerous”, according to Brazilian doubles specialist Bruno Soares.
The stark message came after Australian tennis chiefs flagged “new challenges"“around the arrival of players during the coronavirus pandemic.
In correspondence with players, the ATP - the men's tennis tour - said arrivals originally planned for December were now uncertain, potentially disrupting the packed January schedule.
With players facing a 14-day quarantine, any delay could make it difficult to hold the high-profile ATP Cup and other tournaments before the scheduled start of the Australian Open in Melbourne on January 18.
“In discussions with Tennis Australia over the past 24 hours, we have been informed there are some new challenges around the previously planned arrival dates for players and team members,” read the ATP's message, which was tweeted by World No.193 Lukas Lacko.
“We understand there is uncertainty about the start of the 2021 season, and we are working as hard as possible to deliver the best possible calendar of events,” the ATP added.
Rumor is that players are not allowed to enter Australia in December ... pic.twitter.com/ttACHL9Yfq
— Lukas Lacko (@lukilacko) November 17, 2020
International travel to Australia is still tightly controlled and all overseas arrivals must quarantine for two weeks, while individual states also have their own Covid-19 restrictions.
It is also unclear whether players will be allowed to train during quarantine.
Soares, playing in the doubles event at the ATP Finals in London this week, said it would be tough to play with no practice.
“If we have to quarantine for 14 days inside a room and then go play a grand slam, I mean, I will do it because it's my job and I have to find a way,” said the Brazilian, a member of the ATP player council.
“But I think it's quite dangerous for the players with no preparation I think to go there and compete right away. I think it's physically very dangerous.”
The Australian Open should be cancelled this year. Too dangerous to admit that many people into the country at this time from Covid hotspots. It can’t be managed. #AusOpen
— Victorian Rugba League Fan (@LaTrobeSt_local) November 19, 2020
Aren’t they’re going to have to push back Australian open if they don’t? . Can’t see how they can have a grand slam event with not even an option for a warm up event before.
— Ali (@emerald_229) November 18, 2020
This may be what is leading to delays in decision making regarding the Australian Open. Can't have tennis players filling up days and days of the passenger caps when people are overseas looking for ways to get home.
They could, but it wouldn't be a *great* look. https://t.co/Rc6LK5dGms
— Steve (@Ace_Previews) November 20, 2020
Zverev and Djokovic also worried
Alexander Zverev, bidding to win a second ATP Finals singles title, said he was also concerned.
“If we can't even practise for 14 days and we have to go out to play the Australian Open, it's a lottery,” he said.
“I mean, you can basically flip a coin who wins.”
Reigning Australian Open champion Novak Djokovic, also playing in London, said he understood there were several options on the table and he would be prepared for the tournament to be pushed back a week.
“I’m planning to play Australian Open for sure,” he said. “I mean, I would like to go there and I’m ready to quarantine for two weeks and whatever is necessary for me to be able to play.
“I hope that there is going to be support and understanding from the Victorian and Australian government for the players and for Tennis Australia and that they will allow players to compete in the second week of quarantine.”
Tennis Australia on Monday flagged plans to move warm-up events from across Australia to the state of Victoria, to mitigate against any possible state border closures.
But Victoria’s state premier Daniel Andrews said the move was “not a done deal”, particularly since Melbourne only recently emerged from a month-long lockdown.
Australia has been relatively successful in containing the virus, with just over 27,700 cases and 907 deaths recorded since the pandemic began.
But an outbreak in South Australia, which neighbours Victoria, triggered a six-day lockdown Wednesday as officials rush to contain a cluster in Adelaide.
Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.