'Oh my God': Tennis fans left heartbroken over 'awful' moment

Sam Goodwin
·Sports Editor
·3-min read
Alejandro Davidovich Fokina, pictured here after suffering a nasty ankle injury.
Alejandro Davidovich Fokina went down with a nasty ankle injury. Images: Twitter

Tennis fans were left heartbroken on Wednesday night when Alejandro Davidovich Fokina suffered an ‘awful’ ankle injury at the ATP Challenger event in France.

The Spaniard was the No.1 seed at the event after he was forced to miss the Australian Open because he tested positive for COVID-19.

‘NOT F***ING MOVING’: Kyrgios stages bizarre mid-match protest

‘NEVER SEEN THAT’: Tennis fans stunned by star’s ‘extraordinary’ fail

However things went from bad to worse for Davidovich Fokina when he went down with what appeared to be a serious injury against Thomas Fabbiano in their Round of 32 clash.

Davidovich Fokina was leading 6-3, 1-1 in the second set when his ankle buckled horribly as he hit a forehand shot.

The Spanish player immediately cried out in agony as his racquet was flung across the court.

After calling the physios and spending several minutes receiving treatment, he was forced to retire hurt.

Tennis commentators and fans were left gutted for Davidovich Fokina.

“Oh my god,” tweeted tennis writer Jose Morgado.

“Alejandro isn’t having a lot of luck in 2021... Hoping it’s nothing serious.”

Last month the 21-year-old said he would not be coming Down Under for the Australian Open after a positive COVID-19 test.

Positive test puts Australian Open prep in chaos

Thursday's matches at Australian Open warm-up events at Melbourne Park have been cancelled after a hotel quarantine worker tested positive for COVID-19.

Up to 600 players and support staff connected to the season’s first grand slam will have to isolate until they have been tested after a worker at the Grand Hyatt Hotel in Melbourne, who had worked his last shift last Friday, returned a positive result on Wednesday.

“We will work with everyone involved to facilitate testing as quickly as possible,” Tennis Australia, organisers of the February 8-21 event, said.

“There will be no matches at Melbourne Park on Thursday. An update on the schedule for Friday will be announced later today.”

Alejandro Davidovich Fokina, pictured here in action at the ATP Paris Masters in November.
Alejandro Davidovich Fokina in action at the ATP Paris Masters in November. (Photo by Jean Catuffe/Getty Images)

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews said: “There’s a number of - about 500 or 600 people - that are either players and officials and others who are casual contacts.

“They will be isolating until they get a negative test. And that work will be done tomorrow (Thursday).

“At this stage, there's no impact to the tournament proper.”

Andrews rejected suggestions it was the worst-case scenario for the Open and said the first grand slam of the year would be going ahead.

“I wouldn't describe it in those terms,” he said.

“We've got one case. We're going to work very hard to keep numbers as low as we possibly can.

“Decisions have been made, and we'll proceed as we can.”

with AAP

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.