Teenage star's incredible response to Australian Open heartbreak

Chris Young
·Sports Reporter
·4-min read
American tennis player Amanda Anisimova missed out on attending the Australian Open because she was struck in quarantine in Abu Dhabi. Pictures: Getty Images/Instagram
American tennis player Amanda Anisimova missed out on attending the Australian Open because she was struck in quarantine in Abu Dhabi. Pictures: Getty Images/Instagram

The strict quarantine arrangements imposed on a number of Australian Open hopefuls has sparked another debate about their efficacy - but 19-year-old American star Amanda Anisimova might have busted all the arguments.

A total of 10 positive coronavirus cases have been detected among the roughly 1200-strong contingent of players, coaches and staff to arrive in Melbourne, forcing those on the same flights as the confirmed cases in to strict quarantine.

'FEEDING THE MOUSE': Unexpected twist in star's quarantine furore

WOW: Bernard Tomic's girlfriend hits back at disgusting death threats

'BIZARRE': Shock explanation for Aus Open player's 'jail' remark

Some of those caught up have complained about being unable to leave their hotels to train, as originally planned by Australian Open organisers.

However Anisimova has provided some perspective to those unhappy about their situation.

The 19-year-old was unfortunately stuck in a quarantine of her own in Abu Dhabi last week - leaving her unable to board a flight to Melbourne, and therefore unable to serve a second quarantine in time to compete at the Australian Open.

Anisimova, who is in a relationship with Tyler Roos, the son of AFL great Paul, posted on Twitter saying she was hopeful to return to Melbourne Park next year, after a fan pointed out the reason for her absence.

“It was a rough 2 weeks, but I’m just happy my family and I are healthy,” she wrote on Twitter.

“I’m hoping the Australian Open can continue without many further problems. If 2020 has taught us anything it’s for everyone to be looking at the bigger picture.”

The Australian Open is slated to begin on February 8th.

Spaniard sorry for comparing hotel to jail

Spanish world No.13 Roberto Bautista Agut has apologised after he compared his Australian Open hotel quarantine experience to prison.

Bautista Agut criticised the Victorian government's quarantine requirements in an interview with Israel's Sport 5 television station, saying the lockdown was like being in "jail".

"It's the same (as being in prison), but with WiFi," the 2019 Australian Open quarter-finalist said.

"These people have no idea about tennis and about practice courts and it's a complete disaster.

"It's not Tennis Australia. It's the people from the government ... I feel very, very tight and I cannot imagine staying two weeks like this."

Bautista Agut apologised for the comments on Tuesday night, saying they were part of a private conversation that was given to the media without his knowledge or consent.

"I want to apologise to everyone who has been offended by the video," he said in a statement posted on Instagram.

"Both my coach and I are following protocols designed by the Australian Government and Tennis Australia to avoid any risk and guarantee to compete again in a safe way.

"I thank all the people who are making playing tennis again possible. As well as all those who fight against COVID-19 every day.

"The management that has been made in Australia to prevent the spread of the virus is admirable."

With AAP

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.