The second ODI between Australia and the West Indies was abandoned without a ball being bowled on Friday when a Windies staff member tested positive for Covid-19.
There were bizarre and dramatic scenes just minutes before the first ball was due to be bowled when a halt was suddenly called to proceedings.
'CAN'T BELIEVE THAT': Cricket world erupts over Mitch Marsh act
'WHAT THE HELL': Cricket world in disbelief over 'crazy' scenes
The teams had been named, the captains had tossed the coin and Australia were ready to bat at the Kensington Oval in Barbados when word of the positive test came through.
Players, support staff and match officials retreated to their dressing rooms before the International Cricket Council announced in a statement on Twitter the match had been suspended.
"The 2nd ODI between West Indies and Australia has been suspended with immediate effect due to a positive COVID-19 case," the governing body declared.
"All personnel inside the bubble will be placed into isolation."
Cricket West Indies later confirmed that the positive test had been given by "a non-playing member" on their staff, and explained that the test result had not been known until after the toss had taken pace.
"The established COVID-19 protocols stipulate that all members of both teams and match officials will return immediately to the team hotel and will be re-tested later today," said a statement from CWI.
"They will remain in isolation in their hotel rooms until their PCR test results are returned.
"A decision on when the match will be replayed will be made at a later date once all the test results are confirmed."
Australia's tour of Bangladesh now in doubt
Photos have since emerged of Aussie players being ushered out of the stadium and back to the team hotel to isolate.
Australia had won the opening game of the three-match series on Tuesday.
However there will now be a serious question mark over whether the series can be completed, with the final ODI scheduled for Saturday.
The Australians are then supposed to be heading to Bangladesh for a five-match T20 international series that was confirmed on Wednesday.
Cricket West Indies CEO Johnny Grave said it was hoped the results of the fresh round of tests would be known by Friday morning.
A Cricket Australia spokesman added: "The Australian squad has returned to the team hotel and is in in-room isolation. No further comment will be made at this stage."
The two teams have been staying on separate floors of the hotels in both St Lucia and Barbados where the pending two matches have been scheduled, but all of them travelled on the same charter plane between the islands last Saturday.
Riley Meredith had been due to make his ODI debut and had received his cap from Aaron Finch only minutes before news of the positive case emerged.
Watch 'Mind Games', the new series from Yahoo Sport Australia exploring the often brutal mental toil elite athletes go through in pursuit of greatness:
Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.