Star's worrying virus news hours after Australian Open match

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·Sports Reporter
·3-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Ugo Humbert (pictured) shaking hands with an opponent.
Ugo Humbert (pictured) announced he has tested positive for Covid-19 after his first round exit at the Aus Open. (Getty Images)

French star Ugo Humbert has announced he tested positive for Covid-19 only hours after his shock exit in the first round of the Aus Open.

Richard Gasquet defeated countryman Humbert 3-6, 7-6, 7-6, 6-3 in a thrilling Australian Open clash.

'YOU'RE LYING': Nadal has fans in stitches over Aus Open confession

'YOU ARE KIDDING ME: Star dazzles with extremely 'rare' tennis act

'FEEL FOR HER': Ash Barty demoralises opponent in 'brutal' display

However, Humbert was told as he was exiting the country he had tested positive for the virus and would need to isolate for a week.

"I was tested positive on my exit test yesterday and I'll stay one more week in isolation in Australia," Humbert's Instagram read on Wednesday.

"Thanks for the support and see you soon."

Gasquet had Covid-19 last week before the tournament.

The announcement is a worrying sign for the Australian Open as officials try to maintain a safe environment for the players.

Novak Djokovic overshadows Aus Open lead-up

While Tennis Australia (TA) are attempting to keep players safe and healthy during the pandemic, the organisation broke its silence on the messy Novak Djokovic saga, labelling it a "distraction" and commending CEO Craig Tiley for his leadership in the face of criticism.

TA boss Tiley has faced a wave of backlash for his role in the fiasco, including calls for him to step down after initially giving Djokovic the green light to compete.

Djokovic returned home to Serbia on Monday after being deported from Australia and denied the chance to play for a record-breaking 21st grand slam title in Melbourne.

The 11-day legal battle overshadowed the lead-up to the Australian Open as the World No.1 lost his fight to have his visa reinstated.

Public opinion over the saga has been widely divided with Serbia's President and Prime Minister echoing the sentiments of many of Djokovic's compatriots by insisting that he was treated like a criminal.

Many others have argued that the Serb only has himself to blame after refusing to get vaccinated and adhere to strict mandates imposed across Australia.

TA has, up until now, remained largely silent over the debacle after many critics took aim at the governing body for granting Djokovic a vaccination exemption in the first place.

The decision by two independent medical panels — appointed by TA and the Victorian government - to grant Djokovic a vaccine exemption to compete at Melbourne Park was ultimately overturned by Australian Border Force (ABF), who revoked the Serb's visa.

In a lengthy statement released by TA president Jayne Hrdlicka on Tuesday, the governing body said it respected the Immigration Minister's decision to revoke Djokovic's visa and the subsequent finding from the Federal Court on Sunday to send the World No.1 home.

Crucially, the TA statement also included mention of the board's backing of Tiley - something Aussie tennis great John Newcombe criticised them for failing to do earlier.

with AAP

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting