'F***ing hopeless': Aussie opener caught in ugly Ashes outburst

·Sports Editor
·3-min read
Marcus Harris was spared after a DRS review overturned his lbw decision. Image: Fox Cricket/Getty
Marcus Harris was spared after a DRS review overturned his lbw decision. Image: Fox Cricket/Getty

DRS has provided its fair share of head-scratching moments throughout the first three Tests of the Ashes series.

And Monday's second day of the Boxing Day Test offered up another as Marcus Harris got a huge inside edge onto his pad but nothing showed up on Hot Spot.

FRESH SCANDAL: Police called in over claims against Aussie cricketer

'WORST I'VE SEEN': England stars savaged over 'inexcusable' act

Harris was given out lbw on 36 after a James Anderson delivery cannoned into his front pad.

However Paul Reiffel was forced to overturn his on-field decision after replays showed Harris had got a huge inside-edge.

The under-fire Aussie opener had his heart in his mouth for a few seconds when the Hot Spot technology showed nothing on his bat.

But luckily for Harris, Snicko registered a massive spike as the ball passed his bat and he was saved.

At the end of the over, Harris was heard on stump microphones giving a not-so friendly review of Hot Spot.

“I wasn’t like 100 per cent sure, but I had a big mark on my bat,” Harris told Ben Stokes.

“I thought it might have clipped both pads and maybe a little inside edge.

“Hot Spot’s f***ing hopeless.”

Speaking in commentary for Fox Cricket, Kerry O’Keeffe said: “I don’t think he’ll get a consultancy role with Hot Spot.”

However he might be looking at a big fine after Travis Head was docked 15 per cent of his match fee for swearing while batting in the first Test at the Gabba.

It was the latest incident of DRS creating drama in this Ashes series.

In the first Test the technology couldn't be used for a brief period due to a tech glitch, while the Aussies appeared to be dudded by one review in the second Test in Adelaide.

England fight back after delayed start to second day

England's bowlers produced their most threatening session of the Ashes so far after a Covid-19 scare delayed the start of play at the MCG.

Australia's batters were put under significant pressure for the first time since the second day of the series after slumping to 4-131 at lunch on Monday.

Harris went to lunch on 48 not out, but prolific stars Marnus Labuschagne and Steve Smith both departed cheaply.

Early dramas at England's team hotel seemed to kick the struggling tourists into gear after play on day two was delayed by 30 minutes.

Marcus Harris, pictured here reviewing his lbw decision in the third Ashes Test.
Marcus Harris immediately reviewed his lbw decision. (Photo by Quinn Rooney/Getty Images)

Joe Root's team was initially ordered to isolate in their rooms due to a family group member testing positive to Covid-19.

But England's entire XI quickly returned negative rapid tests and were cleared to head to the ground and take to the field.

Even with news the positive cases in the England camp - two family members and another two support staff - had swelled to four, their quicks caused all sorts of issues for Australia's top order.

Anderson turned back the clock with a sensational spell, leading to him dismissing Smith (16) for the eighth time in Test cricket.

Labuschagne managed just one - the first time he has been out for less than 47 in Australia's first innings of a Test since February 2019.

with AAP

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting