Ash Barty has joined the massive contingent of tennis stars to make donations to the bushfire relief effort, but the world no.1 might have trumped them all.
The reigning French Open champion has announced she will donate the entirety of her winnings at the Brisbane International next week to the Red Cross Bushfire Appeal.
‘PRETTY SPECIAL’: Aussie stars join Nick Kyrgios in bushfire pledge
'WHAT’S THE PROBLEM': Ball girl at centre of bizarre controversy at ATP Cup
A win at the event would see Barty donate the entire $360,000 purse to the recovery fund.
Discussing the event in Brisbane on Sunday, Barty said it was crucial for everyone to chip in, acknowledging the efforts of fellow tennis stars who have pledged to pitch in as well.
“Wildlife has been lost but it has also affected lives and homes so I have been sitting down and thinking with my team and family on ways we can help,” Barty said.
“There have been really great initiatives from cricketers, tennis players, golfers, soccer players all over the country trying to help out.
“We have come to the decision any of my prize money here in Brisbane will be donated to the Red Cross to go towards the families and homes affected.”
Barty’s generosity has been well documented in the past, having already donated $30,000 to the RSPCA last year to assist wildlife recovery efforts late last year.
The 23-year-old said it had been seeing the heavy smoke on her way home from the Fed Cup that prompted her to get involved.
Just when you think Ash Barty couldn't more of an inspirational role model, she does something like this. Let's hope she goes all the way and wins the tournament. #BrisbaneTennis #NSWFires #VICFires https://t.co/ylbkq0GllE
— Jeff Miles (@Jeffmister) January 5, 2020
— Teresa (@teresa_62) January 5, 2020
“The first time I saw of it was flying home from the Fed Cup final from Perth back to the east coast,” Barty said.
“We could see the smoke haze and some of the fires from the plane, so that really hit home with me.”
Tennis stars hit fundraising grand slam
Nick Kyrgios called on Tennis Australia to dig deep in the nations’s time of need, as bushfires devastate livelihoods and communities around the country.
On Friday, the governing body of Australian Tennis answered the call.
Krygios' plans for a massive fundraising effort for bushfire victims has resulted in a tennis exhibition match set to feature some of the world's top players.
The 24-year-old kicked off a flood of donations to the fundraising campaign from sporting names around Australia, including American NBL star LaMelo Ball.
Kyrgios floated the idea of a charity tennis match and Tennis Australia on Friday responded by announcing a "Rally for Relief" exhibition match on Rod Laver Arena on Wednesday Jan 15.