'Not happy': Port Adelaide fuming over player's virus breach

Chris Young
Sports Reporter
Port Adelaide's Ollie Wines is being investigated by the AFL after reportedly hosting a media interview at his home. (Photo by Quinn Rooney/Getty Images)

Port Adelaide star Ollie Wines has been told to stay home and await the outcome of an AFL investigation, after the midfielder reportedly hosted a media interview at his residence, against agreed upon rules.

Among the rules for the AFL return to play was a provision requiring any media interviews to be conducted either on club premises, or online via Zoom or a similar video chat program.

‘REACH OUT’: Eddie McGuire responds to ex-player's ugly racism claims

'DISTURBED': Buddy Franklin responds to Aboriginal flag uproar

The AFL will investigate whether or not Wines hosted a Channel 7 crew at his home, after Port Adelaide confirmed their player was being looked into by the league.

The AFL began investigating Wines just hours after NRL star Benji Marshall was sent home from Wests Tigers training after planting a friendly kiss on the cheek of a Channel 7 reporter as a greeting.

Marshall is awaiting the results of a coronavirus test.

Discussing the incident on Footy Classified, veteran AFL reporter Caroline Wilson said it wasn’t yet certain whether Wines would face a suspension for the gaffe, or would escape with a warning.

“Every player is told — and Ollie Wines has a side-deal with Channel 7 — if you’re going to do an interview, it has to be at the club or via Zoom, or via whatever form of social media,” Wilson said.

“That has been broken.

“Port Adelaide are not happy, they knew about the interview, they didn’t know it was going to happen at Ollie Wines’ house.

“We’re not sure how the AFL is going to respond to this because it’s a moving story.”

AFL investigating Ollie Wines ahead of Port Adelaide showdown

Discussing the incident on SEN SA Breakfast on Thursday, former Power champion turned commentator Kane Cornes said Wines would not return to the club until the AFL cleared him to do so.

“He certainly won’t be going to the club this morning and Port Adelaide are just waiting for the AFL to give them word on the allowances for Ollie of going back to training,” Cornes said.

“If there’s been a safety breach with coronavirus the last thing the club would want to do is send Ollie back to the club and then mix with the group and then all of a sudden the whole group is going to have to isolate.

“Right now this morning as his teammates are going back to training, Ollie will be staying at home until the club gets word from the AFL about what they’re allowed to do in this situation.

“It gets trickier by the day when we talking about quarantine and a big game on Saturday.”

Port Adelaide face bitter rivals Adelaide this weekend in their first game since the AFL suspended its season due to the coronavirus pandemic.