Jordan De Goey breaks silence on charges after New York arrest

·3-min read
Pictured here, Jordan De Goey gives a fist pump during a game for Collingwood.
Jordan De Goey's lawyer says the Collingwood star will fight the charges against him in a New York court. Pic: AAP

A lawyer for Collingwood's Jordan De Goey has labelled the charges against the AFL star "unwarranted" and says he intends to fight them in court.

The Magpies forward has been stood down by the club pending the outcome of a hearing following his arrest at a New York nightclub earlier this week.

'IN THE BEST INTERESTS': Stunning twist in AFLW anti-vaxx saga

'NOT PURSUING': Massive twist in Jordan De Goey arrest in New York

De Goey was charged with allegedly punching and kicking a 37-year-old male, who came to the assistance of a female friend who had been approached by De Goey.

He had also been charged with forcible touching, but this was later dropped.

The Magpies player pleaded not guilty to all charges.

De Goey is scheduled to face a New York court on December 8, with his attorney Jacob Kaplan on Friday releasing a statement on behalf of the player.

“Mr De Goey intends to vigorously defend himself against these unwarranted charges,” Mr Kaplan said.

“Despite the original media reports otherwise, Mr De Goey has not been charged with forcible touching or any other sexual assault crimes against a woman.

“There are no current restrictions on his travel and he plans on using the next few months to continue preparing for the upcoming AFL season.”

The 25-year-old had previously stated that he could not comment while legal proceedings were ongoing.

“On the advice of my counsel, I cannot speak about the incident itself or make comment on the current legal matters that are still ongoing," he wrote.

“At this stage I will not be making any further public comment on this matter.”

Jordan De Goey stood down by Collingwood 

The former first-round draft pick was arrested by police inside the Dream Hotel at 2.44am on Saturday morning local time, after the alleged incident at PHD Rooftop Lounge.

De Goey spent several hours in a holding cell, before being released from custody after pleading not guilty to all charges.

Collingwood acted swiftly to the charges being laid and on Sunday stood down De Goey from club duties indefinitely.

De Goey had originally travelled to the United States to embark on a different training regime prior to his return for pre-season training in December.

Though the 25-year-old has been banned from Collingwood facilities until his case is resolved, it would seem De Goey has ventured back to the US west coast to continue his training.

Pictured here, Collingwood's Jordan De Goey poses for a photo in cycling gear.
Collingwood's Jordan De Goey has resumed his off-season training in California after his arrest in New York earlier this week. Picture: Instagram

He could be seen in Instagram posts from W Training Facility founder Johnny Louch as the pair prepared to cycle through Orange County.

“Another beautiful day in California,” Louch said in his Instagram story. 

“Heaps of training today. About 25 miles, 3000 feet of climbing; let’s go Jordy.

“It’s not easy kid but someone has gotta do it. No one said it was gonna be easy. Look at the view, it’s worth it.”

with agencies

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting