'Spoiling the outcome': AFL grand final disrupted by 'moron' fans

·Sports Editor
·3-min read
The two men, pictured here after running onto the field during the AFL grand final.
Two men ran onto the field during the first quarter of the AFL grand final.

The AFL grand final was momentarily brought to a halt on Saturday night when two men ran onto the filed and had to be removed by security.

The two pitch invaders ran onto the Gabba during the first quarter of the clash between Richmond and Geelong.

‘NEVER AGAIN’: AFL fans fume over 'terrible' grand final switch

‘MADE ME SICK’: Shock over 'heartbreaking' pre-game scenes

After running around for a number of moments they were apprehended and taken away by security.

“What’s happened here behind play? We have got supporters on the ground everywhere,” Brian Taylor said in commentary for Channel 7.

“They play on around them. Now the umpire will hold this up, Matt Stevic with his years of experience.

“Spoiling the outcome here, those two supporters.”

The men, pictured here identifying themselves on social media.
The men took to social media to identify themselves. Image: Instagram

The men identified themselves as comedy duo ‘Marty and Michael’ on social media just moments later.

The pair have an impressive social media following, boasting some 1.2 million fans on Instagram.

According to their website they perform “social experiments, comedy sketches as well as stunts and some really disgusting things.”

With shirts reading ‘Marty and Michael’ on the front, they were no doubt trying to pull off a publicity stunt.

However their antics fell flat with fans and commentators, who took to social media to slam their actions.

Injury carnage early in AFL grand final

Geelong superstar Gary Ablett returned to action in the AFL grand final against Richmond after an early injury scare.

The retiring champion - playing his 357th and final match - hurt his left shoulder in a tackle from Tigers captain Trent Cotchin during an explosive opening five minutes.

Ablett was helped off the Gabba ground by trainers, clearly in pain, and was taken to the change room for medical assessment.

A huge cheer went around the ground when he reappeared on the bench at the 19-minute mark and he came back on before quarter-time.

Moments before Ablett's injury, Richmond defender Nick Vlastuin was knocked out by an accidental high elbow from Patrick Dangerfield.

The Cats star punched a contested ball and made high contact with Vlastuin in the same action.

Vlastuin lay motionless for several minutes before being taken off the ground on a stretcher.

In a rough and tough opening term, Geelong's Brandon Parfitt had his thumb checked for injury and Richmond's Nathan Broad was left groggy by a heavy collision and taken off the ground.

with AAP

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting