Geelong's 'brutal' grand final win leaves AFL fans gobsmacked

Seen here, Geelong players celebrate with the trophy after beating Sydney in the AFL grand final.
Geelong beat Sydney in the AFL grand final to win their first premiership in 11 years. Pic: Getty

Geelong have blown away the Sydney Swans in a devastating AFL grand final display that's left the footy world in disbelief.

The Cats claimed their first AFL premiership since 2011 after a comprehensive 20.13 (133) to 8.4 (52) win over the Swans in front of a full house at the MCG.

'OH MY GOD': Fans in a frenzy over Robbie Williams' grand final act

'GUTTED': Max Holmes at centre of 'devastating' AFL grand final call

BUDDY HELL: Swans star under fire for act in grand final week

Pop star Robbie Williams put on an incredible pre-game show, but as soon as the match got underway it was Geelong providing the bulk of the entertainment as the favourites jumped out to an imposing 36-point lead at the main break.

Tom Hawkins kicked two of the Cats' first three goals as the favourites jumped out to an early lead.

Isaac Smith also booted two majors in quick succession as Geelong raced away to a 31-6 advantage.

Sydney appeared shell-shocked by the hot start from the Cats, who were seemingly first to every loose ball and dominating the early contests.

Geelong had never kicked six goals in the first quarter of a grand final before Saturday, when Brad Close etched his name into history to continue the Cats' domination.

Zach Guthrie had a golden opportunity to make it seven goals in the first term for the Cats but skewed his set shot wide.

When the hooter went to end the first term, the Swans were staring at a whopping 35-point deficit after trailing the Cats 41-6.

Hayden McLean finally gave the Swans something to cheer about again midway through the second term after kicking just his side's second goal of the contest from a set shot right in front.

Swans co-captain Callum Mills sparked a huge roar from Sydney's fans after nailing a long goal to reduce the margin to 36 points.

However, it was the Cats that finished the first half with their tails in the air and Smith at the heart of their dominance.

The Geelong star went into the main break with a game-high 15 disposals to go along with his two goals.

Hawkins also booted his third major in the second term, with the Cats in cruise control at halftime, leading the Swans 9.8 (62) to 4.2 (26).

Geelong's extraordinary start left fans stunned on social media.

Geelong on cusp of breaking 11 year AFL premiership drought

Mitch Duncan continued Geelong's onslaught on the Swans by kicking the first goal after the restart.

Sydney's game went from bad to worse when Swans tall Sam Reid was subbed out for Braeden Campbell.

Reid succumbed to the right adductor injury that saw his place in the grand final squad under a shadow in the lead-up to Saturday's decider.

Close added another goal for Geelong before Smith put the Cats almost out of reach with another sensational major from distance.

Cam Guthrie snapped a classy set shot to make it a 59-point ball game, with Sydney unable to come up with answers to the Geelong juggernaut.

When Tyson Stengle added his third goal for the Cats in the third term, the lead had stretched out to a whopping 66 points.

Stengle then turned the screws further with a sharp mark and a beautifully executed snap shot from close to the boundary to put the Cats on the cusp of a century.

Geelong were simply a cut above, refusing to let the Swans kick a solitary goal in a clinical third quarter to take a 74-point lead into the last quarter.

The fourth quarter turned into a procession as Geelong's players and fans readied themselves for another AFL premiership.

In a fitting moment late in the final quarter, Geelong's veteran skipper Joel Selwood got in on the scoring as the Cats celebrations went into full swing.

with AAP

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.