Victoria Police have arrested and charged a man with a variety of offences related to several abusive messages sent to Richmond Tigers defender Dylan Grimes over the weekend.
Grimes took to social media to expose the horrific messages he had received after the Tigers’ controversial win over Essendon, in which he was heavily criticised for staging to win a crucial free kick that prevented a certain Bombers goal.
'THREATENED': AFL greats question coach's sacking
The Richmond veteran contacted police in Victoria to report the abuse over the weekend, with his family remaining in Melbourne while Grimes plays in the AFL’s hub in Queensland.
Grimes spoke to reporters after the man’s arrest, thanking police for investigating the report.
“Firstly, I want to thank Victoria Police for their assistance with this matter, and for promptly protecting the physical safety of my family while I am away,” Grimes said.
“The severity and pointed nature of these threats went way beyond what I would call normal post-game banter with this individual.
“So much so that we were concerned for the safety of my family back home in Victoria.
“Honestly, I am disappointed that this has escalated to this extent, I’d really like to move on from it and get back to focusing on footy, but at the same time I also encourage people to continue to call out this kind behaviour.
“It’s not right for anyone, including players and their families, to have their safety threatened.”
Victoria Police confirm arrest over social media threats
Victoria Police confirmed on Tuesday afternoon that a 39-year-old Frankston man had been charged with a variety of offences related to Grimes’ complaint.
The man was bailed and will face the Frankston Magistrate’s Court in May next year, after he was charged with stalking, using telecommunications device to menace, and making threat to commit sexual offence.
“Police executed a warrant at a Frankston address on Monday 24 August as part of an investigation into alleged online harassment,” Victoria Police said.
“Detectives arrested a 39-year-old man and charged him with stalking, using telecommunications device to menace, making threat to commit sexual offence and other charges.
“He was bailed to appear before Frankston Magistrates’ Court on 4 May 2021.”