Eddie McGuire has confirmed he will resume his role as host of Channel 9's Footy Classified on Wednesday evening, five weeks following his decision to step down as president of the Collingwood Football Club.
The longtime host stepped away from various hosting jobs in TV and radio after the release of the 'Do Better' report, which found systemic racism within Collingwood had gone unchecked for years.
'BEYOND A JOKE': AFL fans react to groundbreaking rule change
McGuire went to ground after his decision to step down from the club presidency, which came after he was heavily criticised for suggesting the release of the report was a 'proud day' for Collingwood.
The 56-year-old's broadcast future was unknown as recently as this week, with regular Footy Classified co-hosts Caroline Wilson and Craig Hutchison still unsure whether McGuire would return when Monday night's show aired without him.
However the Herald Sun has reported McGuire has told Channel 9 he is ready to return to the program, having also recorded new episodes of game show Millionaire: Hot Seat earlier this week as well.
Wilson had suggested last week that McGuire would indeed make his return to the program on Wednesday night, but that the former president and host of the AFL Footy Show was still undecided at the time.
The veteran AFL journalist said the fallout from his Collingwood exit had taken a toll on McGuire.
Reports earlier in March suggested McGuire was struggling to cope with the fallout from the ordeal.
“He really is struggling and incredibly flat, and this is what we’ve read,” Wilson said.
“After losing the Collingwood presidency the way he did, there is a bit of disillusionment.
Collingwood coach found racism report revelations 'confronting'
Nathan Buckley insists Collingwood are working hard to avoid a repeat of the racist incidents that have blighted the AFL club and admits he found details of past players' experiences of racism "confronting".
Former AFL forward Andrew Krakouer this month detailed a racist incident during his time at the Magpies, which included hearing the word "b**ng" being used by teammates.
Krakouer's experience added to those aired by Leon Davis and Heritier Lumumba, and followed the leaked Do Better report, which rocked Collingwood over the summer.
Buckley, who addressed the media on Tuesday ahead of round one, said he has taken time to reflect on the issues that have arisen and vowed to help the club improve its approach to dealing with racism.
"One of the things that you need to consider ... is becoming more conscious of that reality and more open-minded and open-hearted to being challenged by it," Buckley said.
"It hasn't been a period we have breezed through, clearly.
"So whatever the public front or facade of it is, and the challenge that comes through the media ... the reality is how we feel in here.
"It is confronting to know that people you love and respect so much have felt that way."
The Do Better report found Collingwood guilty of "systemic racism" and detailed numerous incidents over the past 50 years.
It led the club to start implementing a series of recommendations aimed at improving its handling of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island players, along with those from multicultural backgrounds.
Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.