- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
Collingwood's off-field instability appears likely to continue into a second season, with club president Mark Korda reportedly stepping down from the role.
Korda took over from longtime president Eddie McGuire at the beginning of the year, after McGuire resigned amid the release of the 'Do Better' report.
'IT'S BULLS***': AFL great sheds light on free agency debate
'WHAT A CHAMPION': AFL star's emotional speech after cancer battle
After taking over a club in crisis, Korda immediately had to focus attention on behind the scenes jostling for the presidency, with rival Jeff Browne manoeuvring to make a run at the job when the club holds its annual general meeting in December this year.
In a bid to reportedly avoid a messy showdown at the AGM, Korda has reportedly stepped down from the role in order for the club to have more stability heading into 2022.
It's a swift turnaround from last month, when Korda was adamant his position would not be up for discussion until the end of next year.
Fox Footy's Tom Morris reported the Magpies will vote on a new president after nominations have been submitted on October 15 - however Browne is almost certain to win the job.
Collingwood are also set to vote on a number of vacant board positions, notably that of Bridie O'Donnell, who stepped down in September just months after she was appointed.
O'Donnell had been a member of the club for less than two years before being elevated to the board, but it was a second controversy in which she was pictured in a Western Bulldogs jumper that appears to have sealed her fate.
If he wins the job, Browne will be Collingwood's third club president in less than nine months - an unprecedented period of instability for the Magpies.
The tumultuous season was made worse by a poor off-season which saw the highly rated midfielders Adam Treloar and Jaidyn Stephenson leave the club under acrimonious circumstances.
It was worsened when the decision was made to part ways with head coach and club legend Nathan Buckley mid-way through what turned out to be a dismal season.
Collingwood re-sign Scott Pendlebury amid board shuffle
In better new for Collingwood, captain Scott Pendlebury has signed a new two-year deal that will extend his glittering career into an 18th AFL season.
The Magpies' games record-holder will remain at the club until the end of 2023, putting to rest any speculation he could be on the move.
Pendlebury, 33, raised the possibility of a late-career switch during a radio interview in August, but later clarified the comments saying he was committed to staying at Collingwood.
His contract extension is another boost for the Magpies after Craig McRae's appointment as coach to replace Nathan Buckley.
"I'm glad to have come to an arrangement with the club to share in what feels like a new era," Pendlebury said.
"Being a one-club player was one thing, something I am proud of, but my main motivation is to do all that I can to assist 'Fly' (McRae) and the new coaching group develop the squad.
"If you are not in contention, you have to be working towards it. That's exciting."
Collingwood football manager Graham Wright said the star midfielder would continue to provide invaluable leadership for the Magpies' younger players.
"One day, Fin Macrae or Tyler Brown or Reef McInnes will be able to look back and appreciate that in their earliest years they learnt from one of the best of all time in Scott," Wright said.
"His achievements speak for themselves but his dedication to his craft and ability to inspire the wider group is a fabulous asset for our club."
Pendlebury has played 334 games for Collingwood, including 183 as skipper, since debuting in 2006.
The Norm Smith medallist in the Magpies' 2010 grand final replay win, Pendlebury has claimed five Copeland trophies as the club's best-and-fairest.
He has captained the Magpies since 2014.
Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.