'Seen some bad stuff': Former AFL player's troubling concussion confession

·Sports Reporter
·3-min read
Former Collingwood defender Jack Frost is pictured playing against Essendon in the 2015 ANZAC Day game.
Former Collingwood defender Jack Frost has revealed the troubling effects of the 14 concussions he suffered throughout his AFL career. (Photo by Quinn Rooney/Getty Images)

Former Collingwood defender Jack Frost has revealed the alarming impact the 14 concussions he sustained over his AFL career has had on his life after retiring.

Frost’s career spanned 56 games from 2013 to 2018, the majority of his games for the Magpies before a two game cameo for Brisbane, after which Frost was de-listed.

BACK OFF: Swans coach calls out rival AFL coaches for 'finger pointing'

‘A BAD LOOK’: AFL player apologises for virus taunt

Despite such a short AFL career, Frost suffered no less than 14 concussions - not including any he sustained throughout his junior career.

Speaking about his health on SEN Breakfast, Frost said he continued to suffer the ill-effects of too many head knocks to this day.

“I've come a long way since I first retired but I still suffer from little things like noise,” Frost said.

“Like if I go to a cafe or a supermarket and it's all hustle bustle, I start to shutdown a little bit which is pretty frustrating. So a lot of day-to-day tasks are still quite difficult for me.

“Couldn't leave a dark room. Couldn't hold conversations. Couldn't remember anything. So I've seen some bad stuff.”

Frost also delved into the moment he knew his football career had to come to an end, after suffering yet another concussion while playing the the NEAFL.

The former Magpie defender said that final knock left him blind for nearly 20 minutes, before his vision finally returned.

“I remember kneeling on the ground and sort of thought, 'This could be it. I can't keep doing this sort of stuff'.

“The professional medical advice at the time was that it was highly recommended to stop playing because if I keep going down this path I'm not going to end up well at all.”

Embattled Magpie ready for return

Nathan Buckley says Collingwood star Jordan De Goey is physically and mentally ready to return in Thursday night's AFL blockbuster against Geelong in Perth.

The Magpies opted to leave De Goey out of last week's win over Hawthorn in Sydney after he was charged with indecent assault over an incident that occurred in 2015.

Collingwood's Jordan de Goey is pictured during a training session.
Collingwood's Jordan de Goey could return to the side this weekend, after he was charged with indecent assault several weeks ago. (Photo by Darrian Traynor/Getty Images)

The star forward-midfielder flew to the club's new Perth hub ahead of his teammates, as did suspended vice-captain Steele Sidebottom and veteran tall Ben Reid.

De Goey trained on Tuesday and shapes as an almost certain inclusion in the Magpies' side to take on fellow flag hopefuls Geelong at Optus Stadium.

“Physically he's in great shape, mentally and emotionally he seems good,” Buckley said.

“To be back in and amongst the group I think has been good for both he and Steele and Ben Reid.”

With AAP

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting