- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
The ramifications of Jordan de Goey's charge over an alleged assault in New York could cost the 25-year-old as much as $6 million on lost earning, AFL insiders believe.
De Goey has been stood down by Collingwood after he and a friend, Luke Dyson, were charged with forcible touching and assault by police, following an incident at a New York nightclub atop the hotel the pair were staying at.
The pair were kept in a holding cell following their arrest and faced court on Sunday evening (AEST), where de Goey pleaded not guilty.
He is not due to face court again until December 8, after senior Magpies players are expected back at the club for pre-season training.
The Magpies were reportedly blindsided by news of De Goey's arrest, which was reported in local media on Sunday morning.
With one year remaining on his current contract with the Magpies, De Goey was set to test free agency following the 2020 season with some reports suggesting he could have earned as much as $5 million over five years.
He is at risk if losing all of that though, with a potential conviction likely to be grounds enough for Collingwood to tear up the final year of his current deal, worth $750,000.
Collingwood are continuing to pay De Goey, but have banned him from making use of any club facilities or staff.
Jordan De Goey has been stood down indefinitely.
Full statement ☟
— Collingwood FC (@CollingwoodFC) October 31, 2021
"The club will continue to pay De Goey under the terms of his contract until such time as an outcome to proceedings against him in the United States is reached or a more complete account of events is established," the club said via a statement.
"In the interim, De Goey will not be permitted to train or play with Collingwood or make use of club resources, staff or facilities.
"Collingwood is deeply disappointed by reports and events of the last 48 hours involving De Goey in the US.
"Given the circumstances, the club believes it is appropriate to remove him from the AFL program.
"Collingwood has been in contact with De Goey and his management today and has explained to both its decision."
Massive ramifications after Jordan de Goey's arrest
Veteran AFL reporter Jon Ralph said De Goey could potentially have made a 'six million dollar mistake' depending on the outcome of the court case.
Additionally, his value in free agency will have greatly diminished among other clubs who may have been prepared to offer the 25-year-old a lucrative deal.
“I think it goes without saying, if those charges were upheld, he wouldn’t be playing for Collingwood again,” Ralph told RSN's Breakfast Club.
“If these charges were upheld, it would almost be impossible for Collingwood to not move him on as an AFL player.”
De Goey and Dyson are alleged to have approached a woman on the dance floor at the club.
The woman's friend then confronted the pair, before Dyson allegedly struck the man in the face with a glass bottle, splitting his lip, New York police said.
Police say the woman called 911 and De Goey and Dyson were taken into custody, before they were both charged.
Dyson posted several videos with De Goey on his Instagram page before the alleged incident.
The pair wore only bathrobes to the party, joking they did not have other outfits.
They were filmed shirtless posing for the camera, with Dyson pretending to down a large bottle of vodka.
De Goey travelled to America during the off-season to undergo an intensive fitness program at W Training Facility in California as he attempted to capitalise on an outstanding end to the 2021 season.
Only last week, De Goey gave several interviews saying he drew inspiration from Christian Petracca after the Melbourne star's Norm Smith medal-winning performance in the Demons' drought-breaking premiership.
De Goey was allowed to leave Australia under a permit due to his sponsorship with Monster Energy.
The explosive midfielder-forward is out of contract at the end of next season and was setting himself for a new career-making contract.
In August, Victoria Police had to pay legal costs to De Goey after dropping a historic indecent assault charge against him.
De Goey has played 118 games and kicked 155 goals for the Magpies after debuting in 2015.
Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.