Collingwood break silence as Jordan de Goey's fate revealed

·Sports Reporter
·4-min read
Jordan de Goey has been handed a suspended fine of $25,000 by Collingwood in response to his actions on leaked footage from a Bali nightclub last weekend. (Photo by Daniel Pockett/AFL Photos/via Getty Images)
Jordan de Goey has been handed a suspended fine of $25,000 by Collingwood in response to his actions on leaked footage from a Bali nightclub last weekend. (Photo by Daniel Pockett/AFL Photos/via Getty Images)

Collingwood have fined Jordan de Goey $25,000 as punishment for the controversy generated by his mid-season trip to Bali last weekend.

De Goey was filmed making several crude gestures to the camera and at one point attempting to reveal the breasts of a female companion in footage that drew substantial criticism from a series of former AFL players.

BAD TIMING: Collingwood players caught in 'embarrassing' new video controversy

HUGE: Collingwood's $3.2 million move amid Jordan de Goey controversy

The woman in question, Remy Jackson, made an Instagram post on Saturday declaring there was 'nothing to see here' regarding De Goey's conduct, while the Magpies forward took to his own Instagram page the following day to defend himself.

In his post, De Goey lashed out at the 'persecution of athletes' by the media, a response which was also criticised by the likes of former Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley.

On Tuesday, Collingwood finally made their first public comments about the situation outside of initially aknowledging the footage over the weekend.

De Goey's $25,000 fine would be suspended until the end of the season, Collingwood said in a statement, with club CEO Mark Anderson condemning De Goey's actions.

“Our club’s very strong position is that disrespect towards women, in any form, is never acceptable and we strongly condemn it," Anderson said.

“Jordan’s actions shown in the vision shared on social media are actions we do not accept as a football club, and we are extremely disappointed to see him put himself in this position.

“We have spoken to Jordan at length, and he understands the seriousness of the situation.”

De Goey is set to continue in counselling programs he began earlier this year after his arrest and court dates in New York, while he will also undertake additional education pertaining to the Bali incident.

Jordan de Goey addresses Bali incident in statement

De Goey also contributed to the Collingwood statement released on Tuesday.

In it, he revealed he had been diagnosed with ADHD in the past year, and learning to deal with the associated behaviours was part of his journey.

He apologised for the incident, saying he accepted he needed to show more responsibility for his actions.

“I unreservedly apologise to the Collingwood Football Club, its Members, supporters and the wider community for my conduct in Bali and I accept full responsibility for my actions,” De Goey said.

“The actions shown in the video footage are disrespectful and I accept that I have betrayed the trust the Club showed in me by allowing me to take my mid-season break overseas.

“I fully accept that as an AFL player, I have a unique leadership role in the community and with that role comes responsibility.

“Late last year, I was diagnosed with ADHD and I am trying to become more aware of why I make mistakes that I do.

"I have again made a mistake – this is an ongoing journey for me – and I remain absolutely committed to changing."

Jordan de Goey says he was diagnosed with ADHD late last year, and is continuing to learn to live with the condition. (Photo by Darrian Traynor/Getty Images)
Jordan de Goey says he was diagnosed with ADHD late last year, and is continuing to learn to live with the condition. (Photo by Darrian Traynor/Getty Images)

Collingwood reportedly withdrew a potential $3.2 million contract extension they were planning to offer De Goey as a result of the latest incident.

De Goey's AFL career has been littered with off-field controversies, including lying about breaking his hand in a bar fight in 2017, as well as being caught drink driving in 2018.

In December last year, De Goey was arrested in New York, eventually pleading guilty to misdemeanour charges and paying a $10,000 fine to the AFL.

“I will be seeking further support to take the appropriate and necessary steps to learn and improve as a person," De Goey said.

“Again, I apologise for my disrespectful conduct. I understand that I have let many people down and that I have much work to do to again rebuild trust."

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting