'In a very bad way': Brutal fallout in Eddie McGuire resignation

Andrew Reid
·3-min read
Eddie McGuire is pictured here at a February press conference to announce his resignation as Collingwood president.
Former Collingwood president Eddie McGuire announced his resignation in an emotional February press conference. Pic: Getty

Former Collingwood president Eddie McGuire has taken his exit from the AFL club particularly hard, according to close associates of the 56-year-old.

McGuire stunned the AFL community last month when he announced his shock resignation after serving as Collingwood president for 23 years.

OVER AND OUT: Channel Seven's big call on Bruce McAvaney replacement

'GARY WAS MY ROCK': Amie Rohan opens up about devastating tragedy

'DIALLING DOWN': AFL to make call on 'ridiculous' rule

The bombshell decision came after the AFL icon was widely condemned for his response to a report that highlighted "systemic racism" at Collingwood under his leadership.

McGuire copped brutal backlash after describing the report as a "proud day" for the club, before later admitting that he "was wrong".

It led to widespread calls for McGuire to be sacked from his role at the Magpies, with long-serving president deciding to step down in the wake of the outrage.

In the proceeding month McGuire has been rarely seen, with close confidantes of the 56-year-old telling News Corp he's in a "very bad way".

McGuire was spotted on Tuesday night visiting the family of Melbourne-based Aussie music icon, Michael Gudinski, whose death was announced earlier in the day.

Apart from paying his respects to Gudinski's family, McGuire has rarely been seen outside his Toorak mansion.

The 56-year-old has reportedly declined approaches from his close circle of friends and told them he is “not doing anything for a long time”.

A close confidante of McGuire's told News Corp the footy identity has been left "crushed" by his messy exit from Collingwood and is struggling to cope with the fallout.

“He (McGuire) can’t get his head around that he’s basically been booted out of the club which he spent most of his life doing everything for,” he said.

“He sees it that he did everything trying to look after these people and then when push came to shove, he got shoved.

“That’s what has absolutely crushed him.”

Seen here, Eddie McGuire during his time as Collingwood president.
Eddie McGuire stepped down after 23 years as Collingwood president. Pic: Getty

McGuire's broadcast return up in the air

As well as his previous role with Collingwood, McGuire is also one of the most iconic voices in the AFL, being part of the Fox Sports commentary team as well as hosting Channel Nine's Footy Classified on Wednesday nights.

With the new AFL season fast approaching, Fox Footy is understood to be preparing for McGuire's absence in the commentary booth, with the 56-year-old expected to miss the opening rounds or as many as two months of the new campaign.

McGuire indicated he would be taking a break from the game during his emotional resignation last month.

“And with the indulgence of my media partners, I’m going to take a break for a little while to regroup and heal.”

McGuire initially declared the release of the Do Better report as a “proud and historic day” for Collingwood.

But in an emotional statement to the media afterwards, the outspoken media personality said continuing in his role was “not fair” or reasonable for the club or the community.

“People have latched on to my opening line last week, and as a result, I have become a lightning rod for vitriol - but worse, have placed the club in a position where it is hard to move forward of our plans with clear air,” the 56-year-old said at the time.

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.